xterra brake rotor replacement?

Old 12-16-06, 01:26 PM
xterra brake rotor replacement?

I'm attempting to change the front pads & rotors on a 2001 xterra, 4-wheel drive.

I took the pads off with no sweat, but I am having trouble knowing how to get the rotors off. There is an end cap with about 6 cap screws. When I took it off it had a bearing and a female spline in the cap. Not sure what to do next.

Bill

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-06, 03:07 PM
After you remove the dirt cap and nuts around the hub, you need to remove the circlip/snap ring on the shaft then slice the hub out, you then see a big round plate that has two small phillip screws (with yellow paint mark) on it, remove them and remove the plate, then you need to remove a bearing reload nut out(big nut), you can get it out with a pair of long needle nose and if it's too tight, center punch and hammer it loose, once the nut is out, pull the rotor out with bearings in it, then remove the bolts that hold the rotor and the bearing hub out and seperate it. Repack all bearings and replace grease seals while you have them out. Hope it help.

Old 12-16-06, 05:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you are going to do the bearings/hub at the same time, I believe Nissans are pressed in requiring some machine shop press to get them in and out. Thats how my Maxima is anyways.

Old 12-17-06, 02:57 AM
Bearings are not a pressed in type on 4x4 models, FWD and AWD are.