Voyager Transmission

Old 12-17-06, 07:35 AM
Voyager Transmission

Had a 96 Voyager transmission (3 spd)rebuilt 4 months ago. Got a 12mo, 12,000 mile warranty, so we're ok.

Noticed about a tablespoon of fluid on the garage floor yesterday morning. There was one bolt on the pan that was hand loose and a couple other I could tighten a little with a wrench.

I suppose there is a torque spec for these, but could the loosening also occur because of a bad seal? I think these transmissions actually use a Chrysler seal (like a caulk I suppose) instead of a gasket. What if it was improperly applied in the first place?

TIA

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-06, 08:52 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If there was not a good seal in the first place, then there is a possibility that water could have gotten into the tranny pan. I would recommend you take it back to the mechanic and have them do a tranny flush along with installing the pan properly this time.

Old 12-17-06, 04:22 PM
dont really see how water could possibly get in the tranny even if a couple of bolts was a little loose if you still notice a leak you should take it back to the rebuilder. originally chrysler used black atv silicone for the gasket but regular gaskets are available so there is no telling what may have been used by the rebuilder the silicone usually works the best.

Old 12-17-06, 06:17 PM
Take a close look at the solenoid pack on the front side of the trans..........many a tech has pulled his hair out trying to seal a pan when the solenoid pack was weeping and the fluid was following the seam of the trans pan

Old 12-18-06, 08:58 AM
Actually, the offenders were on the back end. I'm taking it in tomorrow. Would asking them to reseal it be appropriate?

Old 12-18-06, 09:18 AM
yes it would be especially if they used silicone if they used a gasket often tightening any loose bolts will fix the leak.