Gas needle acting eratic ???

Old 12-17-06, 05:18 PM
Smile Gas needle acting eratic ???

Hello everyone and merry Christmas to all... I bought a 2000 Buick lesabre recently, and the gas needle is acting very strangely. When i turn the ignition key to on the needle may go over to full and then back to empty and then anywhere in between. It also does this while driving.Does anyone have any idea to point me in the right direction..Also the cruise control does not work, i checked the fuse and it is ok...Appreciate any help with this also...Thanks again...Oren

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-06, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by oren View Post
Hello everyone and merry Christmas to all... I bought a 2000 Buick lesabre recently, and the gas needle is acting very strangely. When i turn the ignition key to on the needle may go over to full and then back to empty and then anywhere in between. It also does this while driving.Does anyone have any idea to point me in the right direction..Also the cruise control does not work, i checked the fuse and it is ok...Appreciate any help with this also...Thanks again...Oren
Sounds Like The Sender Is Going Out

Old 12-18-06, 04:16 AM
where would this be located ...in the tank or else where...and is it something that has to be done by a professional?? Thanks

Old 12-18-06, 12:54 PM
By chance is this motor a 3.1L V6 ?

If it is your sender and pump should be repaced.
I have 2001 Chev Malibu and my gas gauge said it had gas when it didn't.
Ran out of gas twice !

I replaced the sender then the pump failed ( $300.00 for pump & sender )and YES, the sender is in the tank attached to the pump.
They are very simple to get out.
First use up all that gas, disconnect the connectors and fuel line ( it uses a quick release) and the strap. the tank was designed to be removed easily.
Makes you wonder if the GM engineers new this.

The only other time I saw my gas gauge move eratically was when my battery was failing but all my gauges went wacky.

Search this Thread