94 Volvo stalls intermittently

Old 12-18-06, 02:16 PM
94 Volvo stalls intermittently

A friend of my teenage daughter has been having trouble with her Volvo. I don't have much to offer yet as I am trying to get more info from her about the model, miles, engine, repair history, etc. So, this post is a bit premature.

Assume high miles, and the smallest engine. The problem as described to me is that it stalls intermittently, and sometimes has trouble idling. In other words, starts fine, but cannot maintain idle. At least two recommended repair facilities have failed to diagnose and/or repair properly. Poor girl avoids using her car because she cannot trust it. I hate that and want to help her if I can.

So, for starters, I wondered whether anyone out there knows of this sort of problem with Volvo's of this vintage? Thought I'd start with this question first. I'll come back with more info as soon as I have it.

Never having worked on Volvo's, one never knows. Might be a common problem.

I have had a similar problem with my Merc's, and it turned out to be a dirty Idle Air Bypass Valve. Easy fix, and the mechanics never found it (back when I used mechanics).

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-06, 02:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Volvo's can be expensive to fix. They are not unreliable in the least. I would look at her timing, ignition (plugs/coils/wires), fuel filter, and pcv valve first.

Old 12-19-06, 05:08 AM
Thanks, I certainly plan to start with the basics. I expect to see the car over the Christmas holidays, so I'll likely be back here asking for more help.