Low coolant light - Mercury Sable

Old 12-19-06, 11:26 AM
Question Low coolant light - Mercury Sable

We have a 2002 Sable with 85,000 miles that the low coolant light comes on and goes off at its own discretion. We checked the levels and everything is fine. We have heard that the sensors can go bad and can be disconnected. My question is........where is the sensor located and how can we disconnect it? Thanks for any help that you can give us. That sparatic "ding" is driving us crazy.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-06, 01:07 PM
Before you disconnect the sensor, add coolant to the reservoir to about 1" above the "full" mark. Many Ford & Mercury models had overly sensitive level detectors. Usually raising the coolant level in the reservoir by a small amount will satisify the sensor.

I would really hesitate to recommend anyone disconnect the sensors. They are there for an important reason. Today's aluminum block engines can be damaged very quickly by an overheating condition, and oftentimes the coolant warning light will warn the driver of a serious problem long before they notice that the temperature gauge is reading "hot".

Old 12-19-06, 03:32 PM
I'm not sure where the sensor is exactly on your car, but usually it's either a dip tube integrated with the cap, or it's somewhere on the overflow bottle with (two?) wires coming from it.

Old 12-19-06, 03:36 PM
I concur

I concur with beachboy fix the problem dont bypass any warning items installed they have a reason. Add the coolant like said and see what happens.

Old 12-19-06, 07:50 PM
Ford uses a DexCool like ant-freeze that gums up the sensor in the overflow bottle..........right side of engine compartment........You can try flushing the bottle out and see if that clears the problem, or replace the bottle (I'm assuming you don't have a leak)...........They're not expensive and Ford stocks the devil out of them cause they have a tendency to split and leak

Old 09-01-08, 07:41 AM
2001 Sable Low Coolant Warning Light

The sensor wiring is under the expansion tank but if you take the trouble to get that far (which is real easy) just disconnect the lower 1" hose ( I siphoned the coolant out first) and flush the tank. Almost all coolant is poisonous to animals so be careful with spills. I used hot soapy water for the flush. Two months later no problem. Replacement tank w sensor is $29.95 at Advaned Auto.

Old 04-03-09, 07:06 PM
Smile Coolant sensor light

Replacing the coolant overflow tank fixed the problem with the dashboard warning message coming on. The coolant was fine and the temperature gauge had not indicated overheating. Thanks for the recommendation since my mechanic thought the coolant was just ever so slightly low.

Old 04-08-09, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by wrench47 View Post
Ford uses a DexCool like ant-freeze that gums up the sensor in the overflow bottle..........right side of engine compartment........You can try flushing the bottle out and see if that clears the problem, or replace the bottle (I'm assuming you don't have a leak)...........They're not expensive and Ford stocks the devil out of them cause they have a tendency to split and leak
ford doesn't use dexcool. 02 should be simple green.
dexcool was crap and gm knew it.

Old 04-09-09, 03:30 AM
Beg to differ Sir........While working on a mid 90's Ford ranger, one of the owner requests was a "coolant flush"... As this was a "menu item" and there was a big price difference AT THE TIME I was told by mngmt to use standard green coolant.
The owner raised the roof over giving her "substandard" service......The label was right on the radiator cross member.
The truck most definitly had either Dex-Cool or a LIKE FLUID

Old 04-09-09, 05:56 AM
Ford uses an HOAT (hybrid organic acid technology) antifreeze. Same as Mercedes antifreeze, Chrysler antifreeze, and Zerex G-05 antifreeze.

Ford does not use Dex-Cool. Dex-Cool is an OAT antifreeze.

Furthermore, one can't judge the coolant type by its color. The colors and types of antifreeze nowadays are all over the map.

This link bears reposting:
http://www.eetcorp.com/antifreeze/Coolants_matrix.pdf

Old 04-09-09, 09:47 AM
Originally Posted by wrench47 View Post
Beg to differ Sir........While working on a mid 90's Ford ranger, one of the owner requests was a "coolant flush"... As this was a "menu item" and there was a big price difference AT THE TIME I was told by mngmt to use standard green coolant.
The owner raised the roof over giving her "substandard" service......The label was right on the radiator cross member.
The truck most definitly had either Dex-Cool or a LIKE FLUID
well we can disagree.

but i drive a 02 taurus and the sable are the same car and
no taurus/sable has ever used dexcool.

Old 04-09-09, 03:25 PM
Dexcool is EXCLUSIVE to General motors....Since 1996

Ford has used its own variations of Hybrid coolant, from pink to yellow, since the mid 90's, But it is primarily limited to trucks.

I work for chrysler, and "Mother Mopar " has informed us that it is not acceptable to mix our coolant with other MFR types.

It is acceptable , however to mix OUR Green, And Orange Coolant.
Far be it for me to argue with mother nature, but Mixing Coolant types even in the same family, Is not the wisest of Ideas.

Wrench.. Since Your Corporate Office is Ultimately responsible for damage to vehicles from Incorrect or substandard Materials, Not to worry, you do as your told.......In real life , the customer should have been Quoted the Cost for the correct Materials prior to SVC.

Old 04-09-09, 04:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It could also be hypersensitive. The coolant light in my 95 Jetta goes on when I am down 6 ounces of coolant, even though the temperature gauge was stone cold and the light came on 500 feet of driving after sitting 12 hours.