99 Sable Drive Train Balance

Old 12-18-06, 01:18 PM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
99 Sable Drive Train Balance

I just purchased a 1999 Mercury Sable from a Ford dealer. 3.0 liter GS with 18,000 miles. That's right, 18k miles. When I get on the interstate, as soon as I hit 50 mph, the car has a sight "shudder" like a tire out of balance. The shudder continues at all speeds above 50 mph. The worst is 60 - 65 mph. Over 65, smooths out a little, but still there. I took it back to the dealer. He replaced the torque converter, checked engine mounts, etc. Shudder did not go away. The shudder only occurs when under power. As soon as I take my foot off the gas, or go down a hill, the car runs as smooth as glass. When I put the power back on, it takes about 3 seconds before the shudder returns. My instinct says that something is out of balance in the drive train. Has anyone ever heard of this condition? Does anyone have any suggestions as to what in the drivetrain, between the motor and the wheels, could get out of balance? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 12-18-06, 02:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Bad harmonic balancer possibly.

Old 12-18-06, 02:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Also, since you said the car is a 99 and only 18000 miles, the car sat for a very long time, which may have caused flat spots on the tires. Have you inspected them?

Also look at your CV joints, tie rods, etc. Inspect anything in the front suspension/steering.

Old 12-18-06, 03:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
I would vote cv, but not miles to have worn one out.

Old 12-19-06, 04:06 AM
L
My vote goes to tow guy too....although not many miles, the cv boots may have deteriorated and the cv joints are corroded. I have a '89 Tempo that only had 31k last year when I got it....most rubber/vinyl parts on this car were gone. I ended up replacing both axle assemblies and many other parts....front brake lines, wiper blades, radiator/heater hoses, vacuum lines, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc! Other than the axles nothing was very expensive though.

Old 12-21-06, 06:03 AM
V
Smile 99 Sable Drive Train Balance

Thanks to all of you who took the time to respond. FYI..I just replaced front tires. Shudder still there. Happy Holidays to all.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: