92 sunbird brake problem??????

Old 12-20-06, 03:18 PM
Angry 92 sunbird brake problem??????

I am having issues with my brake system on my 92 bird. well i just had to replace the front hoses right rear brake cylinder and no for kicks my brake lights dont come on when i hit the pedal. I have checked the wires...fine. i even took the switch off the pedal opened it up ...everything in there looks cosher....(by the way i am an electronic tech so i know what i was doing there...hehe) and still no lights.......???? the running lights work and so do the signals so I know its not the fuse... any ideas where to start????

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-06, 03:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Have you checked the ALL the fuses? Have you tested for power at the rear lamps when brake is applied?

You will probably not notice anything wrong with the brake switch unless you Ohm it out.

Please report back here when you have taken a multimeter to the rear liight wiring harness.

Old 12-20-06, 03:29 PM
ahhh a start

I will try that right now......thats a good start thanx i'll be back!!!

Old 12-20-06, 04:20 PM
the harness is fine but still no lights i thibk i will try replacing the switch

Old 12-20-06, 05:08 PM
Something else to try, use a Test Light on both sides of the fuse and at the brake switch....brake on and brake off.

Old 12-20-06, 06:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
When you say your harness is good, what do you mean? Do you have voltage at the plug connector into the lights? If so, you have blown bulbs. If not voltage, you have a bad fuse or brake switch.

Old 12-20-06, 11:54 PM
Thumbs down

well where do i start....i found my problem.....i had power to my rear lights fuses were good but with pedal depressed NO LIGHTS. ok so after some back tracing of the wiring harness( and with this i mean removing seats and carpet just to be sure its ALL ok) i found up in the dash a relay box. The leads of the brake switch go to this box and more leads come out. After some internet searching found out that these leads go to ABS sensors dash lights etc and two leads travel to the rear of the car for brake light control. Well surprise surprise the leads in the box shorted out and melted part of the box completely. so BLAH. now the real fun begins tommorrow with locating a new relay box. and harness.

So for all you car nuts who may know someone with a pontiac firechicken store this one in the old memory banks incase something happens to them.

thank you all for all you input it was a base for starting.
You gotta love auto electrical

Last edited by CDNMoose1; 12-21-06 at 12:09 AM.