98 Ford F150XLT 4 wd Exhaust Manifold(s)

Old 12-21-06, 05:54 PM
98 Ford F150XLT 4 wd Exhaust Manifold(s)

MY son's truck is the above with the 5.4 engine. It has about 110,000 miles, and sounds like it has an exhaust manifold gasket blowing out. He asked his repair shop to look at it, and they said it would be a big pain because of rusted bolts and the fenders have to be removed to get to them. They said it could potentially cost $1,000.00!! Is any of this right?? I think I'm going to have to get a Chilton repair manual and take a look at it myself this weekend. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-06, 06:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
These mechanics could be correct. Some vehicles do require a lot of labor just to get to the parts. Only thing I can suggest is SOAK those bolts down with some penetrating oil and would be handy to have pneumatic tools available.

I haven't heard of taking fenders off, but I have heard of removing front wheels and INNER wheel wells.

I'm not saying they don't have to come off, but sometimes you have to think ahead. Say after you get those bolts off, is there enough room to remove the manifolds?

Old 12-21-06, 08:08 PM
I know that when I worked at the wreckers that when we had an engine that We thought the bolts would break we blew the bolt heads off with the torch.
That relieved the stress and would allow us to take the manifolds off first then work at what was left of the frozen bolts.
It is big trouble if a bolt breaks off flush with in the engine.