Lower Ball Joints

Old 12-24-06, 08:43 AM
Question Lower Ball Joints

Bad News--just got a quote for 1998 Breeze, Plymouth, lower ball joints, total cost around $780 Parts total $485. laabor $280--Is this in the ball park? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-06, 08:47 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yes, that sounds right. Each lower ball joint is around $240-250 each side, plus about $40-55 /hr labor.

You are not getting robbed if that is your question.

You could get the cheaper ball joints from Autozone for around $137 ea to save some money.

Old 12-24-06, 08:49 AM
Seems really steep.depending on where you live. If the car is mobile, price around. If your stuck there and the car isnt driveable, Make some phone calls. Give the guy the benefit of the doubt within 100 dollars or so. If other quotes are radically different....Run as fast as you can.

Old 12-24-06, 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by Unclediezel View Post
Seems really steep.depending on where you live. If the car is mobile, price around. If your stuck there and the car isnt driveable, Make some phone calls. Give the guy the benefit of the doubt within 100 dollars or so. If other quotes are radically different....Run as fast as you can.
How so? A good OEM replacement part from Autozone is $243 /ea

The going rate for labor is between $40-55 /hr.

Old 12-24-06, 10:38 AM
I would not pay that much for that. I fix my cars myself though. I would go to the junk yard, find a low mileage car hit in the back and buy the complete lower A arms/with ball joints. Making sure they were good prior to taking them off. I could prob. get a set for about 50 bucks each.

Old 12-24-06, 01:42 PM
The idea of using a used front end components is dangerous. You don't know the condition of the part. Visually inspection isn't always exact. Safety items are safety items. Don't be cheap.

Old 12-24-06, 06:02 PM
If your are an ametuer and don't know what your looking for yeah go spend the big bucks. There is nothing wrong with salvage parts if they are good. For example: find a donar car wrecked in the back that has say 30,000 miles on the OD. The ball joints can be checked to see if there good or bad. How do you think the bad ones were diagnosed in the first place (think about it). If they have zero slack in them, then they are good. If they go bumpity bump bump when you check them, then they have slack and are no good.

Old 12-24-06, 06:18 PM
Like someone said above, it's better getting new front components. Who would want suspension/steering type parts with all those miles on them? I know you used 30,000 miles as an example, but, why would you want to shorten the life of the ball joints by 30,000 miles, think about it.

There are lots of better parts to get from the junk yard, but steering and suspension components are not one of them, unless it's a rare car.

Old 12-24-06, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by HotinOKC View Post
Like someone said above, it's better getting new front components. Who would want suspension/steering type parts with all those miles on them? I know you used 30,000 miles as an example, but, why would you want to shorten the life of the ball joints by 30,000 miles, think about it.

There are lots of better parts to get from the junk yard, but steering and suspension components are not one of them, unless it's a rare car.
OK you say "with all those miles on it" the car in question does have al"all those miles on it". If there are worn ball joints then all the other "front end parts" have "all those miles on it" too. So are you saying "all the front end parts" should be changed? because of "all those miles on it"? think about it

Old 12-24-06, 07:42 PM
Not at all, I was saying you would have to change those ball joints out alot faster then if you got new.

Old 12-24-06, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by HotinOKC View Post
Not at all, I was saying you would have to change those ball joints out alot faster then if you got new.
calculate it, 100,000 miles on the origanal at $750 to replace equals $7.50 for every 10,000 miles traveled. Now If it costed you $200 for used parts with 30,000 miles then you take 100,000 minus 30,000 equal 70,000, which is $2.85 for every 10,000 miles traveled. By the time you drove the adittional 70,000 miles you would have 170,000 miles on said vehicle and would prob. be ready to junk it or sell it.

Old 12-26-06, 06:44 AM
I did the same on 2 Breezes (1998) about a year ago. I bought the parts from e-bay for $80 each. They were made in Taiwan, quality parts. Since I replaced the parts myself, I cannot comment on labor. All I remember is it took me one full day for both cars. And I paid for wheel alignment extra. If you can supply the parts and pay the labor, you can save some money.

Old 12-26-06, 05:45 PM
Being in the business, I have seen alot of nightmares with people replacing their worn components with someone elses worn components, sometimes only to have to have it redone much sooner because the parts were already on their way out. I agree with everyone who said that suspension parts should not be junk yard parts. You dont know what you are getting. You dont know how the previous owner drove the car. It could have been a granny who just drove to the grocery store and church, or it could have been some kid who ran it up and down rough dirt roads and jumped banks and the sort. These lower ball joints are non greasable so once they start to wear they arent going to last long at all. Safety first, put on new parts. And if you buy em at Auto Zone, dont be surprised if you arent doing them again sooner than later.
Good Luck,
Billy

Our labor rate is $74.00 per hour (Dodge dealership) I havent seen an auto repair shop with a $40-$55 labor rate in a VERY long time.

Old 12-26-06, 07:17 PM
You are so right. Safety first, with that many miles on all the front end parts you should junk the car and buy a new one. If the ball joints are worn then everything else will be worn too. Because "you can't tell if old parts are good or not".

Old 12-28-06, 04:46 PM
chevydrivin..... The original poster never stated the mileage on his vehicle. And no one said that high mileage was the be all end all, and the car wasnt worth fixing. I have seen brand new cars with loose tie rod ends.... and trucks with 12,000 miles with ball joints and tie rod ends so loose its ridiculous. It is extremely important to have the supsension ( and all safety systems) on any vehicle inspected on a regular basis and replace any worn components with quality parts. Im not saying you only get quality parts at the dealer, but you do have a much better warranty on most things from the dealer.
To the original poster, Good Luck... Let us know what you decide.
Hope this helps all,
Billy

Old 12-28-06, 06:50 PM
"Our labor rate is $74.00 per hour (Dodge dealership) I havent seen an auto repair shop with a $40-$55 labor rate in a VERY long time."

Ohh, I see where your coming from!