Durango keyless remote alarm problem

Old 12-26-06, 08:46 AM
Durango keyless remote alarm problem

I Have a 2002 Dodge Durnago with a keyless remote. Every morning when I unlock the doors, the alarm goes off. It seems to only happen in the mornings when it's been sitting all night.
Also, recently I've noticed after locking the door with the keyless remote that the rear lift door can still be unlocked. Sometimes it locks, sometimes it doesn't lock. When I open it after locking the doors, sometimes the alarm goes off, and some times it doesn't.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-06, 11:41 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is this a after market alarm system? It sounds like they wired it wrong.

Old 12-26-06, 12:34 PM
Durango

It is factory supplied. I have owned it for 4 years now with no problems. This symptom is just a few months old.

Old 12-26-06, 12:47 PM
Cheapest thing to do now is replace the keyfob (keychain transmitter) battery.

Looks like the Durango was having problems with the keyfob not working correctly.

Only thing I can think of is that the keyfob is not sending the signals right.

Call Dodge and see what they say. You may need a new keyfob.

Old 12-26-06, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by brownied2005 View Post
I Have a 2002 Dodge Durnago with a keyless remote. Every morning when I unlock the doors, the alarm goes off. It seems to only happen in the mornings when it's been sitting all night.
Also, recently I've noticed after locking the door with the keyless remote that the rear lift door can still be unlocked. Sometimes it locks, sometimes it doesn't lock. When I open it after locking the doors, sometimes the alarm goes off, and some times it doesn't.

The problem is more likely one of the door "arm/disarm" switch is bad, the lillte switch that goes around the key cylinder on each door and also one in the trunk lid, you may be able to narrow it down to which door and that take some time to, other than that, the local dealer use to replace them all because once one goes bad,, the rest will follows short after.

Try to unlock the Passenger side door with the key then use door lock switch on Pass. side to unlock the rest and see if the alarm stills goes off, if it does then on the next day, try to unlock the trunk with the key first then use your key fob unlock the rest.

Try the key on each door is one of the way to isolates where problem is hiding.

Old 12-26-06, 05:08 PM
My question is, are you unlocking the doors (after sitting overnight) with the remote (fob) or with the key?
Billy

P.S. There is a bulletin for water intrusion in the liftgate lock cylinder that caused some intermittent lock and unlock issues. Your vehicle may be experiencing this condition and it may be the whole problem. It is a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) and not a recall, so if you are out of your basic warranty then it will not likely be covered. The TSB number is 08-023-03.
Hope this helps ya,
Billy

Old 01-02-07, 05:33 PM
Remote

I only unlock the doors with the keyless remote, never with the keys.
I suspected the rear door, it wasn't locking at all. I took off the inner panel to check things out. The lock cyclinder was frozen, I couldn't even get the key into it. After a lot of wd40, I was able to free up the latch so it would lock with the keyless remote, but the key still does not go into the cyclinder all the way. The alarm still goes off in the morning. any further suggestions?

Bill

Old 01-03-07, 04:29 PM
Billyss68 has it nailed. The bulletin he refered to affects quite a few durango models between 2000-2003. Get the issue with the rear liftgate corrected and I bet the security system goes back to normal.
The Local Dodge dealer will usually give you a copy of A TSB for the copy price --35 or 40 cents (Or at least my shop Does) - It might be worth it to read it over , since the vehicle is probably out of warranty and you'll eithe go to an independent shop or Fix it yourself.

Old 01-03-07, 05:55 PM
did you buy this new and have them install an alarm.
if this is the factory ( just the horn honking no sirens) alarm you should be able to disarm it yourself read the owners manual it may tell you

Old 01-03-07, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by jchevguy View Post
did you buy this new and have them install an alarm.
if this is the factory ( just the horn honking no sirens) alarm you should be able to disarm it yourself read the owners manual it may tell you
This was answered awhile back in this thread. It is factory alarm.