'97 Chevy K1500 rear tail lights

Old 12-26-06, 07:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
'97 Chevy K1500 rear tail lights

I have a 1997 Chevy K1500 4x4 pickup truck with a little over 150,000 miles on it, and I am having a problem with the tail lights.
This summer my left turn signal/break light wasn't working, although is wiggled would work, then I noticed the socket was blackened/burned. So I replaced the socket board and everything worked fine. Then last month it started acting up again, took it apart and found the socket blackened again, same with the backup light socket and the right backup socket. They will work when wiggled.

What is going on here? Why would the sockets be burning out? I have checked the connections and wiring that is out of the protective sleeve and haven't found any signs of wear or water.

Also when I turn on my fan in the cab, on settings 1-3 the fan does not come on but the anti-lock break light comes on, if I turn the fan to off the break light comes on, the anti lock then goes off and the break then goes off. It does not do this all the time, and does not happen when I turn the fan to 4 HI.

Someone told me might be bad ground, so I took the ground off the battery, engine block, and were it connects to the body next to the battery and cleaned them. Didn't help.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-06, 08:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I would replace your Directional Switch.

EDIT:

Let me look something up. Hold on....

Old 12-26-06, 08:53 PM
Update:

These are seperate problems.

The tail lights/backup are not tied into anything with the heater control.

All the rear lights going into the directional switch I mentioned above.

Regarding your fan problem-
Alot of times, especially lately, resistors that control the fan motor are going bad. I'm still try to figure out how this ties into your ABS lights and such, but I will work on that now.

Old 12-26-06, 09:01 PM
It is a 15A fuse installed in the STOP fuse location?

I am reading these wiring diagrams. Take a look. Fig 5 & 4

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/08/79/51/0900823d80087951.jsp

Old 12-27-06, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the replys Mark.

The fuse panel does not resemble the one in the diagram. I have a 20 amp fuse for the parking, one 20 amp for the turn and backup lights, and one 20 amp for the brake lights. The cover for the panel states they should all be 20 amp.

I think cleaning the grounds might have solved the fan problem, or at least the problem didn't occur today. The light came on briefly right after I cleaned them, but hasn't happened since.