fan motor not running

Old 12-27-06, 08:44 AM
fan motor not running

I have a 2002 buick lesabre. Yesterday when I advanced the lever for the fan motor nothing happened. A small amount of heat comes out but not enough to do any good. As far as I can tell the fan is not running. I have had this problem several times. Enough to know the problem is not the fuse. I have had the fan motor replaced twice. Each time the system worked perfectly for several weeks then all of a sudden nothing. My mechanic told me if I had this problem again the wiring harness may have to be replaced.
Does that sound right? Any experience or knowledge with this situation? Thanks....

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-06, 09:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the diy forums

Fan motors usually last a long time. Did your mechanic test the old motor when he replaced it? To determine if the motor was bad he should have tested it prior to replacing.

If it is an on again off again problem I would suspect a bad connection somewhere.

Old 12-27-06, 12:03 PM
I have reason to believe your problem is in the fan control switch on the dash.
I have a similar car to yours (2001 Chev Malibu) and my fan doesn't work until I select speed 3 or higher. I think it's a common GM problem.

Old 12-27-06, 05:11 PM
I'd be looking at the resistor block or speed control assembly...........I find it difficult to swallow multiple motor failures as you describe........Your speed control is probably a circuit board and the heat/cool effect of use is probably having some funky effect on it's continuity