Can't get tag light to work

Old 12-27-06, 01:09 PM
Can't get tag light to work

My husband got pulled over for the license tag light being out (lame). I changed the bulb but it still won't work. We bought this 98 Honda Passport used at a Honda dealership and someone had taped up the light.... (?? Perhaps it was previously owned by crooks??). Anyway, I looked underneath and the wire to the light was disconnected, so I hooked it back up - but I was also wondering why that was disconnected. I checked its fuse too, but everything was fine. Is there a way for me to check where the problem lies? And I did have the headlights on while checking to see if the light worked. It doesn't. Thanks for any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-06, 03:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Did the lights work when you plugged it back in? You never stated.

Also, If all the tag bulbs have been replaced, along with the fuse, it leaves only two things:

1. Bad wiriing (not too likely)
2. Bad directional switch (more likely)

Old 12-27-06, 03:13 PM
An inexpensive 12VDC trouble shooting light(available at auto and hardware stores) would help. Connect one end to a good chassis ground(test by touching a known 12V source, like the battery, touch the other end to the light bulb socket to the center nub(with the lights switched on). If the test light lights, you have 12V at the socket and the problem is a bad ground. If it does not light, it could be a bad fuse, broken wire, etc.

Old 12-28-06, 07:25 AM
This is helping me

The headlights did work as usual when I changed the bulb and reconnected the wires. I will get the tester that you suggested. I had hoped to surprise the hubby with this by the time he got back into town. Oh well.... I'm pretty handy except in the area of electricity, currents, ground, etc. I'll get the tester and go from there and I'll let you all know what we find. The directional switch... that was mentioned - do you mean the whole switch that turn the headlights on?

Old 12-28-06, 12:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Does your lights turn on from where you control the blinkers as well? If so, then yes, thats the directional switch in most vehicles.

Old 12-28-06, 06:39 PM
Just the tag lights are inop?????.........I'm assuming the running lights are lit???? If this is the case, switches are not the problem as the tag lights run off the "parking light" circuit.........If only the tag lights are out, you have a wiring/socket kinda problem........I wonder if the vehicle was rear ended at some point???