squeaky wheels

Old 12-27-06, 07:15 PM
squeaky wheels

97 Chevy Lumina 130k miles 3.0L

BACKGROUND:

Front was bouncy. Front strut cartridges were replaced. The car had been squeaking whenever the wheels were turned to the left (and then back to straight). When it turned right, it didn't squeak.

While replacing the cartridges, I noticed the left one was off center. The top was skewed to one side, and it was tough to put the rubber doughnut (?) in place. I had to use a rubber mallet to hammer it in.

Replacing cartridge was done from the top without compressing the springs. I was told it shouldn't change wheel alignment. But I took the car to PepBoys anyhow, hoping wheel alignment might solve the problem. Since then, the car has been squeaking whether the wheel is turned right of left. But, overall, it squeaks less.

1) How can I solve this problem?
2) Is this related to the fact left cartridge was off center?
3) Someone suggested that the strut needs to be repositioned so that the cartidge would be centered. Do you recommend this?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-06, 07:50 PM
After posting this, I realized I asked the question before. Here is the link to the previous thread. If you have additional suggestions, please let me hear. My apology for asking the same question twice. Thanks.

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=285471&highlight=cartridge