2001 nissan pathfinder oil leak

Closed Thread

Old 12-28-06, 08:00 AM
Thumbs down 2001 nissan pathfinder oil leak

My pathfinder recentley developed a leak coming from what appears to be the oil pump on the left side of the engine looking from the front. It started slow and now leaks a small puddle over night. I tightened a bolt located in the middle of what I think to be the oil pump and it seemed to have slowed the leak greatly. Is there only one bolt holding the thing on?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-06, 12:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Should be held on by at least 2 bolts. Probably a bad seal. Not sure if thats the oil pump or not. Is there a hose coming off of it? It maybe the PCV valve.

Can you take a picture of it and upload it to a photobucket.com type site so we can see?

Old 12-28-06, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by shineysideup View Post
My pathfinder recentley developed a leak coming from what appears to be the oil pump on the left side of the engine looking from the front. It started slow and now leaks a small puddle over night. I tightened a bolt located in the middle of what I think to be the oil pump and it seemed to have slowed the leak greatly. Is there only one bolt holding the thing on?

That's an engine oil cooler, tightening the center bolt will not fix the oil leak problem, you need to replace the seals/o.rings (2) in it, one small o.ring(black color) goes around the center bolt and other bigger one (orange color) goes between the cooler and the block, it's a tight place but it can be done without remove other stuffs around it.

Old 12-30-06, 04:45 PM
I'm faced with the same problem. I took the pathfinder to my mechanic, and he said that I need to replace the whole oil pump (it's a dealer item only). Is anyone out here sure that it can be fixed by just replacing the seals + gasket? Is my mechanic trying to rip me off?

Old 12-30-06, 04:50 PM
Does anyone know if there's a diffrent name for oil cooler. I'm trying to find one on junk yards and no one seem to know what it is.

Old 12-30-06, 05:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Only "Coolers" on car are the radiator and transmission cooler.

Old 12-31-06, 04:22 AM
it is possible

Originally Posted by HotinOKC View Post
Only "Coolers" on car are the radiator and transmission cooler.
The pathfinder is a SUV type truck so it is possible it also has an oil cooler. Oil coolers are an option on trucks and SUV with the towing package.

Old 12-31-06, 05:24 AM
Guys, If your Pathfinder has 3.5 v6, it's your oil cooler that leaks and it's can be repair cheaply by replacing seals. The 3.0 and 3.3 does not have cooler. If it's a part that looks like an aluminum can that bolted on the R/F (look from driver seat or L/F if you are standing infront of the vehicle) lower part of the engine that has two hoses attached to, it's an engine oil cooler.

Your oil pump is inside the oil pan, you also have Trans cooler which apart of the Radiator and you also have a P/Steering fluid cooler that run infront of the radiator.

Happy NewYear.

Old 01-03-07, 07:39 AM
Talking Oil Leak

Thanks guys you've been a lot of help. I think I'm going to go with the o-ring solution and see how that works.

Old 02-26-07, 10:24 PM
Thumbs up 2001 Nissan Pathfinder 3.5 Oil Cooler

Reply to Nissan Pathfinder Engine Oil Cooler gasket (o-ring) post.

Thanks a lot to all that contributed to this post. It helped me decide to do the work myself and gave me an idea where to start. I've never worked on engines before. I recently had a 60k mile service done at Power Nissan in Tempe, AZ. Almost immediately, I started to experience a very slow drip on my driveway. Took it back to the dealer, and they told me it's the oil cooler seal, and they swore they never touched it. Bill would be $215. Two hours labor plus $32 in parts. Was advised by the service manager to take care of it, and not fix it myself. I declined the service. Went back to the parts dept and bought the orings. Cost me $11 for a small 1" orange oring, and $12 for a larger 2.5" orange oring with a square cross section. Went to Auto Zone and bought me a couple of plastic ramps. Took about half hours just to figure out what the hell I was going to do. Found pictures of the oil cooler on the internet, so I had an idea what the center bolt looked like. The oil cooler is on the passenger side, directly above the steering boot. You must first remove the pastic cover under the motor. Then drain the oil. Remove the center bolt, and then the whole thing comes off in your hand. The 1" oring goes around the washer attached to the center bolt. Mine was pretty flat. The larger oring goes on the cooler assembly. Mine did not look flat, but I wasn't going to take a chance. I cleaned up some excess oil and gunk in the cooler assembly, and reassembled it with the new orings. Probably took 30 minutes of real labor, and about 90 minutes of figuring out what to do and taking the time to make sure I didn't break anything. In the end, I spent about $55, and I get to keep my ramps for next time. Hope this post helps out some other poor soul like me. Good luck.

Old 02-27-07, 01:15 AM
outstanding

Outstanding glad you posted back and saved some money to boot. It does help if you you do your homework like you did and not tear into a repair. many repairs are DIY items and some are not yours was a good example of one that was.

Old 03-04-13, 11:53 AM
@erne5to do you have the part numbers for the o rings you got?

Old 03-04-13, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator
This is a 6yr old thread and ernie has never come back here since his post.
If you have a valid question, please start a new thread.

Closed Thread