2.3L gm quad engine misfiring when rainy

Old 12-29-06, 09:25 AM
Z
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
2.3L gm quad engine misfiring when rainy

93 grand am 30K original miles, auto, 2.3L SOHC

The other day when it was cold and had just rained out, my car was misfiring badly, not as much when it was warm, but still not that drivable. It has been fine since. It usually misses a couple of times in the first minute or so after its been raining, but never like that. I am wondering what would cause this. I replaced the plugs and Caps(car has coil over the head, theres just little connecting caps about 3 inches long) about 6 months ago, so it shouldnt be that. My air filter is a fram, about 4 months old. The service engine soon light didnt come on so I dont think theres any codes. Im wondering what could have caused this? I dont think it was bad gas because i had about 7/8 tank and had driven it twice since I filled up with no problems.
Its running fine now, but I dont want it to be giving me trouble next time it rains.

Thanks

Old 12-29-06, 10:25 AM
Change the plug wires.

Old 12-29-06, 11:09 AM
Z
My car doesnt have plug wires. The the coils are mounted over the head and are connected to the plugs by these small plastic(on the outside) connectors. I changed them with the plugs about 6 months ago.

Old 12-29-06, 12:23 PM
Hmmmm! My mistake.. Lift the hood some damp night after the car has sat for awhile and see if you can see any electrical leakage on the engine. has to be dark though.

Old 12-29-06, 05:13 PM
W
Aren't Quad 4's the greatest thing since slice bread????..........OK......The 4 bolts on top of the engine release the cover that holds the entire ignition system, Module, coils, COIL COVER.....and those pesky little short boots.......The coil cover is #1 problem for this engine........Look for burn marks on the boots, and the coils while you change them from one cover to the other..........Also check your spark plugs at this point, but be VERY careful as it's REAL easy to strip the plug hole on these.......

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: