92 Isuzu Rodeo stuck in 1st

Old 12-30-06, 09:10 AM
92 Isuzu Rodeo stuck in 1st

This is a 4x4, all options, 3.1 V6. I just bought this car, the previous owner has replaced the alt., rad., bat., and brakes. The brake light is on and I was told it is the speed sensor.
I was told the car was running fine until one day while driving at about 45 mph the transmission lost power and the car seemed to go into netural. After pulling over the car will not shift into 2nd. 1st and reverse seem to work fine....
Any ideas where to start without spending a boat load of money or did I buy a head ach?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-06, 09:19 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is this a manual transmission? If so, most likely your clutch. If automatic, it may be your shift linkage or transmission itself.

Make sure you have good transmission fluid. If it's a manual, make sure you have enough fluid in the reservour.

Old 12-30-06, 01:25 PM
my slow Rodeo

Mark-
It is a Automatic and it refuses to shift while in drive. I have yet to try shifting from 1st to 3rd using the shifter. The 4 wheel drive is working if that is of any use an nor does the trans fluid smell or look burnt. Could it be a filter or first to second stuck sinkro?

Old 12-30-06, 01:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I would lean more towards a bad shift cable.

Old 12-30-06, 02:27 PM
You're gonna have to do a little research on this one as I have no real info dating back to 92.............IF this trans is an electric shifter, you need to check for a Trans Control Unit and see if the fuse for it is blown..........Is the speed operative????.......If it's electric and the speedo stopped, the trans won't see any road speed ergo, no shift..........
If it's a mechanical shifted unit, you're probably looking at an overhaul

Old 12-30-06, 03:27 PM
Thanks from the bottom of my Isuzu

To all who have given me ideas as to where to start and possiably what to look for ....Thanks.
Time take out the degreaser and the pressure washer and see what I can find.
Any more ideas are more than welcome and will be looked into.
Thank you for your time and I hope one day to possiably help someone else.