seem like it runnning out of gas

Old 12-30-06, 01:31 PM
Angry seem like it runnning out of gas

i have a 93 ford explorer with about 270215 miles on it now and lately when i am driving it seem like it is running out of gas when their is plenty of gas in it and some time i can hear a low tap on the driver side of the car when i park it and i raise the motor while it is running it sounds good but still some times sound like it running out of gas and i have one more question the fan what keep the raditor cool should i beable to turn it easy are should it be hard to turn either way i turn it.it has a 4.0 engine in it

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-06, 01:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Have you replaced your fuel filter, plugs, wires, distributor lataly? I would replace your fuel filter.

If filter has benn replaced, I would next look at your cat (exhaust) for a possible blockage.

If you do not have an electric fan, then your fan should not be easy to turn.

If it is electric, then it will be easier.

Old 12-30-06, 02:10 PM
Check Fuel Pressure?

First check fuel pressure. Spec is around 40 psi. The cooling fan will move freely but have a little resistance.

Old 12-30-06, 02:20 PM
OK............At 270,000 this could be a G'zillion things here, but let's start with the basics......A fuel pressure/volumne test is in order ...........If the fuel filter hasn't been changed, that's another thing that would be a plus to do......
Ford Exploders.............er Explorers are good for T/stat problems (overheat) Fan clutch problems ..........and pay specific attention to the fan blade.....Examine it closely for stress cracks and replace if you find some.....
Ford fan clutches are pretty wimpy to keep noise to a minimum......If you can CAREFULLY place your hand behind the fan while it's running and feel no air flow from the fan, clutch replacemant is in order.......This will not only improve cooling efficiency, but also help out your A/C come summer........As I mentioned , aftermarket clutches seem to have a bit more guts than the Ford unit.........which is good for the engine/A/C........but it'll give you a sound of a small plane on take off.........turn up the radio

Old 12-30-06, 03:29 PM
Wrench:
The poster did not say he had a overheating situation. Fan has nothing to do with the issue at hand.

Old 12-30-06, 04:12 PM
Angry

the fuel lines going to the filter are metal and the the filter has a metal ring on both end their no way i can take end off or do i need to take it to a auto shop to have it remove are their another way for me to remove the fuel line from the filter without messing something up

Old 12-30-06, 05:55 PM
This is easy.

Get yourself a $6 special tool at autozone. You insert this tool into the flange ends of the tube/filter. It will release the line from the filter.

Remember to release pressure by removing gas cap.

Old 12-30-06, 06:56 PM
"more question the fan what keep the raditor cool should i beable to turn it easy are should it be hard to turn either way i turn it.it has a 4.0 engine in it"

Seems like he asked about the fan clutch to me

Old 12-30-06, 07:57 PM
His main question is that his engine is about to stall.

Old 12-31-06, 07:20 AM
If the cooling system is not working correctly than this could make the (EEC) Electronic Engine Control system stay in open loop. With this being said weird driveability issues can happen. So it could be related?

Old 12-31-06, 08:17 AM
Highly doubt it. He didnt say the motor was overheating. Sounded like he was just curious to know how the fan should move.