'96 Chevy Corsica w/ 2.2L engine Will Not Start

Old 01-01-07, 11:23 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
'96 Chevy Corsica w/ 2.2L engine Will Not Start

Help! I was driving down the highway @ 65 mph. when my car died suddenly, just like you turned the key off, but all of the instument lights and gauges stayed on. I coasted to the side of the road and tried to start the car many times. It turned over, but never fired up. I towed the car home and used my OBDII scanner to check the codes. I retrieved the P0342 code, "Camshaft position sensor circuit". I removed the sensor and inspected it. Yep, it is a sensor alright. I took it apart and found that it is actually a Hall I.C. sensor and there is really no way to check it. I replaced the sensor ($71.99) and the spark plugs. Still no luck. I do have fire at the plugs, and I have gas. When I replaced the plugs, they were wet with gas, and I disconnected my gas line to the fuel rail while I turned the engine over and lots of gas came out. Also, I can smell gas after I try to start the car numerous times.
Can anyone tell me why I never get fire from any cylinder, nor do I get any back firing. If you have spark and gas, why no combustion? I checked the compression with my thumb, with one of the plugs removed, and there seems to be at least some compression.

Thank you for your help,

Mike

Old 01-01-07, 11:34 AM
M
If you remove your cam shaft pos sensor, does the shaft spin around or does it sit still when cranking the motor ?
Also have someone crank while you in the oil spout in the valve cover to see if the valves and cam shaft are moving.
I think the timing belt broke.

Old 01-01-07, 12:01 PM
W
Methinks the chevy 2.2 is chain driven, but your theory is definitely worth inspecting.........If the cam IS turning, you're going to need a "noid light" to see if you have injector pulse..........Pressure to the rail is one thing, but if the ECM isn't pulsing the injectors, you essentially have "no fuel"

Old 01-01-07, 12:51 PM
M
Thanks for replying fellas. I will check the camshaft for movement. I hope the chain is not broke. Would I still get fire to the plugs, and gas in the chambers if the chain broke?

Thank you,

Mike

Old 01-01-07, 05:33 PM
M
I checked the camshaft and it is not turning. The timing chain is apparently bad. Thank you for the help.

Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: