2000 Ram Van 2500 starting problems

Old 01-02-07, 09:12 AM
Cool 2000 Ram Van 2500 starting problems

Started about 3 days ago, I noted that starting was take long to kick in and a bit slower in the cranking, then I was cleaning the Van and when I was going leave did not start, just got a couple of very slow cranks and then just clicks, I got a jump and the engine was cranking real good but would not start, wait for my mechanic to come and all of a sudden it starts and runs fine. It started fine the rest of the day the next morning it does not start totally dead, jump started and it run great but would not stay run at idle only when I give it the gas, a few hours later my mechanic came, we jump start and it run good even at idle, we also found that a wire was not connected and was for the throttle control senor reconnected it and runs fine I drove it for about 1 ˝ hours to charge battery and no charge battery dead and now again it won’t stay run unless I keep giving the gas. Help help what on earth is going on this is the strangest thing I ever saw.
Can someone help before the shops bleed me dry? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-07, 09:41 AM
Sounds to me like it's not charging or charging very little at idle....I'd check the alternator.

Old 01-02-07, 11:14 AM
DKM
Sounds to be like most likely bad battery.Test Battery and charge System 1st.
As far as poor/no idle quality probably low voltage to engine control modual (How good would your home computer work on 1/2 the voltage?)

Need to make sure you have a good battery and charge system and let computer relearn idle control before proceeding with any other driveability problems.

David

Old 01-02-07, 11:57 AM
would probably suspect battery also its not uncommon for a vehicle not to idle once the battery goes dead as its lost it idle strategy memory and it may need the throttle plates cleaned so the computer can relearn the idle.