Got a weber carburetor, converting electric choke to water choke

Old 01-03-07, 02:02 PM
Got a weber carburetor, converting electric choke to water choke

I recently picked up a weber 32/36 for my 86 nissan pulsar with a e16 engine. the hitachi on there now is an electric choke.

The weber i picked up has a water choke, but stock is an electric choke, should it just be as easy as splitting a heater core line and run it through the carburetor?

Also any other tips anyone can give me are appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-07, 06:03 PM
It would work as long as you had your heater turned on. In the summer the water wouldn't circulate through the line.

But now that I think about it on some of the older cars the choke was set up with the heater line pinned against the choke housing and those worked, so maybe you're OK.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Old 01-03-07, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by marbobj View Post
It would work as long as you had your heater turned on. In the summer the water wouldn't circulate through the line.

But now that I think about it on some of the older cars the choke was set up with the heater line pinned against the choke housing and those worked, so maybe you're OK.

Hope this helps,

Bob
Thanks for your input, maybe theres another water line i can hook it up too.

The US version of my car had a water choke carb stock, but the canadian model was electric. I'll check my service manual.

But yes, older cars had the choke hooked up like, so how did that work?

Old 01-03-07, 08:24 PM
Those chokes had the thermostat springs that would react to the heat inside a plastic (probably baulklite) casing. Then the input line to the heater core laid in a little U shaped clip that held it up against the choke housing. The water from the line never left the line. The line got hot and the heat actuated the choke unloader.

Some of the others had the exhaust feed coming up from the manifold, then the electric ones. Those are about all I can think of right now. Seemed like they all worked OK.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Old 01-03-07, 08:43 PM
hmm alright.

but i just had a genius idea from the info you gave me before.

if i split the line going into the core and run it to the inlet of the choke, and then run a line from the outlet of the choke to the outlet of the heater core, the water can both circulate through the choke whether the heat is on or not, and still get through the heater core when the heat is on, correct?

Old 01-04-07, 07:53 PM
Sounds like it would work, as you said....an ingenius idea. I would suggest metering the flow, though. Remember you're bipassing the flow to the heater core. If you bipass too much, the heater wouldn't get enough coolant to heat well in the winter.

Good luck

Old 01-04-07, 11:04 PM
Originally Posted by marbobj View Post
Sounds like it would work, as you said....an ingenius idea. I would suggest metering the flow, though. Remember you're bipassing the flow to the heater core. If you bipass too much, the heater wouldn't get enough coolant to heat well in the winter.

Good luck
shouldn't be much of a problem, because on the high setting the heat that thing produces is extreme, way too hot, so i usually use it between medium to 3/4.