Chevy 3500 with differential whine

Old 01-03-07, 06:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Chevy 3500 with differential whine

I have a 1993 Chevy C3500 dually, 350 V8, automatic, two wheel drive with (I believe) rear differential problems.

The truck runs and drives fine, but there is a whine from the rear end on deceleration only. As long as my foot is on the gas, it is silent, but let off and you can hear it whine.

I haven't had it looked at professionaly and currently have the truck listed for auction. I have fully disclosed the problem to prospective bidders.

My question is, if the winning bidder opts to drive the truck home what kind of greater damage can be caused if the dif goes out on the trip? I would hate to see anyone face a huge repair bill that could be avoided by renting a trailer.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-07, 06:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Can you open the differential and see if metal shavings come out? If there are alot of shavings, then most likely your gears are going out in there. Do a good differential fluid change. If it gets really bad, then the gears will tear each other apart and/or seize.

Definetly try to isolate it better. Make sure it's not coming from the transmission.

Old 01-03-07, 07:01 PM
Swinging the truck from left to right on a straight road will tell you if you have an axle or side bearing issue.............power on/power off noise is usually an indication you have a pinion bearing fixin to take a dump