1990 Chev Astro wiring harness

Old 01-04-07, 07:42 AM
Unhappy 1990 Chev Astro wiring harness

I'm trying to test out my wiring harness from the coolant temp sensor to the computer. I have no continuity. I'd like to know if the pass thru at the engine wall by the passenger feet is a plug and socket connector or just a passthru type of protector?

Last edited by DIYaddict; 01-04-07 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Email address removed for your protection and so your email address will not be filled with spam
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-07, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by hassler1 View Post
I'm trying to test out my wiring harness from the coolant temp sensor to the computer. I have no continuity. I'd like to know if the pass thru at the engine wall by the passenger feet is a plug and socket connector or just a passthru type of protector?
What Temp Sensor Are You Trying To Test, If Yours Has The 4.3 Like Mine There's 2 Of Them, One By The Exhaust On The Drivers Side For The Gauge And One In Front Next To The Inlet, For The ECM Temp. You Won't See Any Volts On These, There Are Measured In Ohms

Mine Has A Plug And Socket

Old 01-05-07, 04:03 PM
Most firewall connections are plugs, The harnes does not pass thru the firewall, but is plugged thru.

Old 01-08-07, 09:23 AM
Temp sensor wiring harness(ECM)

I have found the two sensors and Have tried to check for continuity from the 2 wire thermister to the ECM and have not been successful. Is anyone familiar with a base value for the sensor sio that I could place a resistor at the ECM module to simulate a working sensor? I believe its a Yellow wire from the sensor to pin 7 on the Large plug of the ECM. Any more help is greatly appreciated. The van only has 229k on it and I wanna go to 250K

Old 01-08-07, 09:42 AM
I have found the two sensors and Have tried to check for continuity from the 2 wire thermister to the ECM and have not been successful. Is anyone familiar with a base value for the sensor sio that I could place a resistor at the ECM module to simulate a working sensor? I believe its a Yellow wire from the sensor to pin 7 on the Large plug of the ECM. Any more help is greatly appreciated. The van only has 229k on it and I wanna go to 250K
Not To Familiar With The ECM But You Proably Get A New Used ECM Off Of Ebay For Less Hassle, I Got One For My Astro And Never Had A Problem With It

Old 01-08-07, 07:24 PM
one step closer

I physically removed the thru the wall cable and it's just a large grommet type thing. Checked wires only to find out that the Hanes manual did not illustrate the ecm wiring correctly. Wires to coolant temp sensor came up good. Sensor meters out to about 1 meg-ohm. Not sure if this is near correct or an open ckt. I'll probably swing by an auto house and check one out.

Old 01-08-07, 07:55 PM
I physically removed the thru the wall cable and it's just a large grommet type thing. Checked wires only to find out that the Hanes manual did not illustrate the ecm wiring correctly. Wires to coolant temp sensor came up good. Sensor meters out to about 1 meg-ohm. Not sure if this is near correct or an open ckt. I'll probably swing by an auto house and check one out.
the colder the sensor the higher ohms, so that sounds right

Old 01-10-07, 08:01 PM
fixed astro van w/ bad temp sensor

The 2 wire coolant tems sensor in the van read 1 + megohm resistance the new on from a-zone read 2500 ohms. didn't install it in the engine untill I tried it electrically. Wa La it Ran like new. I learned alot. Don't trust the local garage, there are 2 temp sensors in this engine, don't trust the Hanes Manuals for wiring diagrams and be patient and persistant.

Thank you all for your help. this site will be on my favs for a long time

Jim

[email protected]

Old 01-10-07, 08:55 PM
Glad To Help, Is your van still on the first engine and trans, my just rolled over 175000

Old 01-11-07, 05:02 AM
Chev Astro reply

Yes, my 90 chev astro rings in at 229K with the orig tranny and v6 engine.
I change my oil frequently and keep the suction on the PCV clean. This is a know problem to me, I've owned 4 of these babies with a 98 being the newest.

Old 01-11-07, 05:44 AM
your a lucky. i had to replaced the engine at 130k and the trans at 140k, it was treated really bad from the other owner, but she living strong and proud