Help diagnosing problem

Old 01-05-07, 03:51 AM
Help diagnosing problem

I need some help diagnosing a problem on my 2001 Dodge Ram. It runs really rough most of the time when it starts. It'll idle ok, but when I back out of my drive way & let of the accelerator to put it in Drive, it idles real low, until I give it some gas. Then when I'm going down the road, let's say in a 35mph zone & I go to slowly accelerate up to 55, it shakes like the wheels are going to fall off, if I let off the accelerator until it's more or less just going, not accelerating, it stops. This only happens when the engine is cold, when it warms up, it's fine. It has always started fine until this morning. It kept turning over but wouldn't fire. Not sure if it made a difference or not, but I pumped the gas a few times, & it finally fired & ran like crap again. Seems like this has just started happening when the weather started turning "colder". I don't remember it doing it at all this summer.

I can fix most small things myself & bigger things with the help of family, just have no idea where to start looking.

thanks in advance!
Dan

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-07, 04:22 AM
Group Moderator
A couple of things come to mind, both of which are in the preventive maintenance category, so if it's been some time since they were replaced would be a good place to start:

Fuel filter
Plugs & plug wires
Cap & rotor (depending on the ignition system)

Also wouldn't hurt to have it checked for codes and the fuel pressure checked.

Pumping the gas pedal has no effect on fuel-injected vehicles of today; there is no accelerator pump as in a carburetor.

Old 01-05-07, 05:36 AM
Same thing was happening last week with my '93 Silverado. I had changed the spark plugs and wires last summer, so I figured it wasn't that. However, at that time I did not change the distributor cap and rotor, so I did it last week. Now the truck runs like new. The contact points in the distributor cap were badly corroded.

Pecos

Old 01-05-07, 07:53 AM
[QUOTE=the_tow_guy;1101922]A couple of things come to mind, both of which are in the preventive maintenance category, so if it's been some time since they were replaced would be a good place to start:

Fuel filter
Plugs & plug wires
Cap & rotor (depending on the ignition system)

Also wouldn't hurt to have it checked for codes and the fuel pressure checked.QUOTE]

That was where I was going to start to check, but didn't want to waste money on something that was completely out of the ball park. I've had the truck for 4 years & have never put plugs in it, & it's probably never had a new filter, so I'll do that stuff this weekend.

I'm sure I'll post back if it doesn't help any.

Thanks!
Dan

Old 01-05-07, 02:37 PM
Group Moderator
Always best to start with the simple tune-up type stuff. We often jump to searching for something more exotic and overlook the obvious. And even if it's not the simple stuff, if it's been a while they need it anyway.

You can get a pretty good idea how clogged the fuel filter is by blowing into it. Blow through the new one before installation so you know how much resistance there should be (next to none when new); compare that to the old one. Just don't get any gas on your lips/tongue/mouth.