Manual Transmission

Old 01-05-07, 08:44 AM
Question Manual Transmission

I have a 1988 Chrystler Shelby CSX (a.k.a Dodge Shadow). The engine is a 2.2 liter 4 cylinder, with a turbo charger. The Transmission is a 5 speed transmission. I don't know the model.

My issue is just recently say in the last 2 - 3 weeks it has become increasingly hard to move the shifter from left to right. It also seems like I have to search for the gears as opposed to a fluid motion like before. It is not hard to put the shifter into gear, just hard to move it left to right. Now one thing that has happen in the last 2-3 weeks is that It has gotten very cold down to freeze temperatures (I live in the Seattle Washington area) and has been keeping at a steady temp range of 30 - 45 degrees.

The shifting pattern is as follows:

R - 1 - 3 - 5
| | - |
2 4

There is a lift button that you pull on in order to put it in reverse. The hardest gear to put it in is fifth because I have to push so hard to the right before moving the shifter forward to put it in gear.

Again as I said putting it in gear (up down motion) is not an issue, just the moving it side to side.

I was thinking that this might have something to do with the grease/fluid/oil that is used to lubricate the shifting chamber and if its old grease then maybe it just gets harder to shift during winter time.

If anyone has any ideas on what could be causing this please let me know. If you need more information please let me know and I will do my best.

thank you

Last edited by ecollins; 01-05-07 at 08:45 AM. Reason: adjust shifting pattern
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-07, 08:56 AM
If after driving for a while 5-10 miles it is still hard to move then you probably have a linkage problem, however, if the shifting is loose and smooth, the stiffness is because of the cold weather and it's going to take a while for the lube to warm up. Have a nice day. Geo

Old 01-05-07, 09:23 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
How many miles are on the clutch?

Could be your clutch, clutch pressure plate, clutch bearing, clutch fork, master cylinder, or linkage.

Old 01-06-07, 09:12 AM
I'm not sure how the shifter mechanism is put together, but you're right about grease getting old. After 20 years, the grease is probably now waxy and may have collected a lot of grit. Plus, any bushings in the mechanism may need replacing. For this reason I often need to clean and relube door latch mechanisms after 10-15 years. I would dig into the shifter mechanism.