Mustang engine swap, need help

Old 01-05-07, 09:34 AM
Mustang engine swap, need help

I have a 92 mustang that has a 2.3L motor in it. I have gotten a 5.0 GT motor out of another 1992 mustang and I have complete engine harness and the ecu. When i put this motor in the car Can i plug in the new ecu and plug the new harness into the firewall and GO. Or will that not work? I was thinking that maybe the interior wiring would be the same, the only thing that would be different is the engine harness and computer right? If not do you know how I could go about hooking this new motor up into this car? Also would the flywheel and bell housing from my 2.3 fit on the 5.0?
thanx for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-07, 09:48 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You have to make sure your water pump, radiator, fuel pump, etc are for the 5.0.

also, do you already have the 5.0 transmission, rear end, exhaust, and brakes meant for a 5.0?

It's not as easy as you think.

I believe a stock 5.0 tranny is a T-5. I dont think the 4 cyclinders had this tranny.

Old 01-05-07, 02:37 PM
well i am going to use the stock 5 speed that is in the car. Not sure if it is the same one as a GT, but it souldn't make any difference. The car is not going to be a racecar. Also I'm not 2 worried about the rear gear. The exhaust is coming soon and the brakes are just a stock LX style. Again the difference in the weight from the 2.3 to the 5.0 isn't much different so the brakes should be fine. The fuel pump will probably have to go, I forgot about that, but thats an easy change. I am not worried to much about the easy to change parts, basically i am just try'n to figure out what has to be done electrically to run the new motor. Everything else I can either swap out or fabricate.
thanx for the reply

Old 01-05-07, 03:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The reason I say brakes is because the weight difference of the entire vehicle with the heavier V8 in it.

Bellhousing wont fit because the V8 is almost twice the size of the little 4cyl.

Old 01-06-07, 09:01 PM
I think i will leave the brakes alone for now and just hope they bring me to a stop. I really don't think the bell housing will fit, But I know that in some cars, a small block V8 bell housing can fit on a big block motor. Was just a thought. But that stuff is all easy to swap out. My biggest concern is the electrical. I am afriad to smoke up the whole system by installing the computer wrong or something. I'm not the hottest electrician on the block.