91 chevy Corsica Code 32

Old 01-05-07, 04:57 PM
91 chevy Corsica Code 32

I just bought a 1991 Chevy Corsica 3.1 Multi Port FI with 137,000 actual miles on it and no rust. Every once in a while my serivce engine soon light comes on. i checked the code on the car and it gave me Code 32. Is this the O2 sensor? The car runs and idols great.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-07, 05:31 PM
believe that code is for the egr system problem it may have a carboned up passage in the intake causing the code to set, but it could also be an egr valve or wiring problem also a possibility.

Old 01-05-07, 05:49 PM
What would be the best way to fix this with out buying a new one?

Thanks
Brad

Old 01-05-07, 06:16 PM
Group Moderator
The EGR valve can sometimes be removed and cleaned if the valve is the problem like bejay suggests. You can also check the egr control valve vacuum lines; one will run from the intake manifold to the control valve and another will go from the control valve to the EGR valve itself. The egr valve is operated with vacuum and a bad vacuum hose will sometimes light the cel. You can also check that the diaphragm in the valve is holding vacuum by disconnecting the vacuum hose between the valve and the control valve and appl;ying a slight vacuum to the egr valve direction (suck on it lightly). You should feel a little resistance. You really don't want to have to buy one if you don't have to; they can be a little pricey.

Here's some more help on the system:

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/14/7d/9d/0900823d80147d9d.jsp

Old 01-05-07, 06:30 PM
If I clean the EGR Valve what should i use? I only ask Because I have seen a friend of mine use carb cleaner on his EGR valve that was in his car, and the EGR valve was no good.

Last edited by GTO101; 01-05-07 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-05-07, 06:41 PM
Is this EGR wired????............If so , remove it from the plenum and start mining the carbon that's gonna be in the manifold.........You may want to get a throttle body gasket ....Remove the throttle body and give yourself access to where the port comes through............carb clean should work fine( with some coat hanger).Try not to spray the electrical part of the valve

Old 01-06-07, 04:40 PM
91 corsica should have an egr solenoid, separate from the valve. On the end of the solenoid is a metal "CAP" . Remove the cap and "RIP-OUT" the Paper filter you find inside-(If it is indeed still there). Replace the cap and drive the car for a week or so . This shouold clear up your problem. Ive never had any luck finding replacement filters, but you're welcome to try.

Old 01-08-07, 12:26 PM
thanks for your help but i think i will just leave the car the way it is because the car idols great and i would hate to make it worse

Old 01-11-07, 12:18 PM
one last question i think

i hope you guys are still looking at this one because i have one last question. Will this make my car have bad gas milage. and Will my engine go bad after a while if i don't fix this? I recently found out that my car was from las Vagas. and i live in Michigan

Old 01-11-07, 01:11 PM
it can affect gas mileage slightly but not that much and it can cause the engine to ping under load sometimes wich isnt great for the engine.
suspect it has an electronic egr and it just needs the passage cleaned.

Old 01-11-07, 01:24 PM
yeah sorry i didn't clear that up for you guys or say it sooner. It is an electroic EGR
thanks

Old 05-01-07, 05:18 PM
This is what i did so far. I cleaned the egr valve, i made sure all the valves moved and put back to gether. When i took it off i noticed that there was so oil in the plenum where i took the EGR off of. i notice that this is comeing from the pcv valve plastic hose that connects into air filter intake (big tube). Is this good or bad?

I took it for a drive and it the same thing, it started to chug. It seems like it only does this when its warm. I hopeing that is not because the car is on E. Because the car does not stall when it idols. I can hear the pump kick on.

Oh i forgot to mention that it seems to hesitat for a split second when i tap the gas.

i have an automobile repair manual coming for this car in a few days.

I am thinking that is is a good possibility that it needs gas filter. The one on the car looks old and with some rust spots.

Old 05-01-07, 05:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Limit duplicate posts. This confuses people.

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=302800

Old 05-01-07, 05:30 PM
sorry i thought it might help but i see what you mean