97 Cavalier Overheating

Old 01-05-07, 11:32 PM
97 Cavalier Overheating

Ok here goes kind of a long thread. I have a 97 cavalier with 95xxx miles on it. Roughly 1.5 yrs ago it had an overheating problem my mom brought it in they put a new thermostat in and all was fine. That fall the car was leaking coolant we found the water pump was leaking so I put a new pump in and all was fine. Now in the last few months, this started hapening now thats its been cooler/cold out (chicago) the car will overheat sometimes i can be doin 80 down the highway for hours and its fine othertimes it will start overheating doesnt matter if im in stop and go or crusing or drivin it hard. Most the time after a few minutes it will just cool back down and all will be fine. It does boil over though cause a number of times ill check the coolant afterwards and the resevoir is wet and the coolant is low. It happened again tonite and I noticed while I was stopped at a stop light that the air coming out of the vents also got cold almost instantly but once I started driving it got warm again.

Please any suggestions woudl be great, Im kind of thinking its the thermostat but Im not sure any help would be great. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-07, 11:55 PM
if your cooling fan is working kicks on and off with a/c and defrost off, would probably suspect a thermostat and is a good place to start. once it overheats and loses some coolant, you get very little circulation through the heater core especially at idle wich is why the heater started getting cold.

Old 01-06-07, 12:21 AM
IM 99% sure the fan is working but ill check that out ill hook up a lil light bulb so I can tell if its comin on and off or not, I suspect the thermostat.

Is it possiable that its the radiator i assumed if it was plugged it would be a constant problem.

Old 01-06-07, 06:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by PentaVolvo View Post
Is it possiable that its the radiator i assumed if it was plugged it would be a constant problem.
When was the last time the cooling system was flushed? Prior to changing the t-stat would be a good time to do so. Also a good time to inspect the hoses.

Old 01-08-07, 04:27 PM
Hoses all look good, I passed on flushing the radiator although I was ready to cause the design of the car makes it basically a full blown project to either get to the drain or remove the borrom hose. Put the new T-stat in and so far seems to be running much cooler and no overheating at all.

Thanks a bunch guys