Check Engine Soon & Outside Temperature

Old 01-06-07, 06:42 AM
Check Engine Soon & Outside Temperature

I have a 2001 buick park avenue ultra with 47,000 miles. Recently the "check engine soon" light came on and also I notice that the outside temperature reading, which displays on the AC console, was reading about 20 points higher than the real outside temperature. Are these problems related and where is the sensor located for the outside temperature reading? I was thinking that since I recently polished the vehicle with a buffer it might have knocked out of position and it might be picking up engine heat. This is pure speculation on my part. The last time the "check engine soon" light came on was when the vehicle hit 25,000 miles and my mechanic indicated that was what trigerred it. My gas mileage is good and the car is running good, so I am not perceiving a problem as of now. Any assistance is appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-07, 09:43 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Usually these sensors are zip tied up near and/or behind the front bumper along the radiator support.

You need to get your codes read for the check engine light. Autozone, Oreilly type places will read them for free.

Report back here with the codes so we can go further into diagnosing.

Old 01-06-07, 10:07 AM
check light

Hey I had the same problem with my 99 zx2 A buddy of mine told me to unhook the battier for about 10 min. or so! And then hook it back! It will reset all your sensors! try it! it worked for me!

Darren

Old 01-06-07, 10:10 AM
Group Moderator
May reset certain sensors like the outside temp, but won't affect the check engine light if there is a problem that caused the light to come on. Only way to reset check engine light on an OBD-II is with a scanner or a number of cycles after correcting a problem.

Old 01-07-07, 02:44 AM
Thanks for your advice. To the Tow Guy, I read the auto manual I received with the vehicle which is rather rudimentary, but does indicate that thse problems can occur from a water splash, a loose gas cap etc. And taking that my car seems to be running good I am disinclined to pay to have this corrected until I see if it corrects itself. So my game plan right now is to unhook and rehook the battery, and drive for about a week to see if the "check engine soon" light recycles by itself. If it persists I will have it checked.

I will check for the outside temperature sensor and if that appears OK and if it is I am hoping that the battery disconnect/reconnect advice might solve that.

With appreciation - vetisme

Old 01-07-07, 02:49 AM
And I appologize - It is a "service engine soon" light versus a "check engine soon" light. At some point they should just incorporate a screen that tells the driver what they want checked and how soon. But that's another discussion. Thanks.

Old 01-07-07, 09:52 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by vetisme View Post
And I appologize - It is a "service engine soon" light versus a "check engine soon" light. At some point they should just incorporate a screen that tells the driver what they want checked and how soon. But that's another discussion. Thanks.

Aha. service engine soon light might reset with the battery disconnect; check engine light will, but will come back on until cleared with a scanner (or enough cycles after repair).

Don't look for better user-friendly readouts anytime soon. The car makers would never want to chance selling you a part that the car says it needs, but which doesn't fix the problem; they would have to eat the cost. Bettter to do complete troubleshooting and make sure before changing a part.