Brake line repair.

Old 01-06-07, 08:48 AM
Brake line repair.

Sirs:
Now, I may be a female, but I try to keep aware of garage auto repair to my vehicle. Here is my question:

The brake line in my Buick is broken and leaking about half way back from the master cylinder (48") and the repairman said he could cut the line and use a "compression fitting" and splice in a section of new brake line.

Is this a safe repair? Two other opinions are to replace line from master cylinder to rear wheels--or--use a "flare tool" and fittings to splice in a new section.

Your reply is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-07, 09:18 AM
complete line is best ,

if it where me I wouldn't be concerned about having it repaired either with a compression or flared fitting assuming you have a competent person doing the repair

Old 01-06-07, 09:21 AM
As I understand it, compression fittings are not an acceptable way to repair brake lines. Granted, your mechanic may have had success in the past using compression fittings, but I don't think it's an acceptable repair. Brake lines can experience up to 3000 psi during emergency stops... not a good time to test the limits of a compression fitting repair. The repair section should be connected by using double flares on the line ends, like you mentioned in your other two options. It's not that difficult.

Old 01-06-07, 09:49 AM
what I know

The brake fluid travels from the master cylinder to the wheels through a series of steel tubes and reinforced rubber hoses. Rubber hoses are only used in places that require flexibility, such as at the front wheels, which move up and down as well as steer. The rest of the system uses non-corrosive seamless steel tubing with special fittings at all attachment points. If a steel line requires a repair, the best procedure is to replace the complete line. If this is not practical, a line can be repaired using special splice fittings that are made for brake system repair. You must never use brass "compression" fittings or copper tubing to repair a brake system. They are dangerous and illegal.

Old 01-06-07, 12:50 PM
you can cut the bad spot out of the brake line and use a double flare tool and female fittings and just replace the portion of the line that is rusted out its commonly done and is considered a safe repair as long as it is double flared at the fittings.

Old 01-06-07, 12:59 PM
nap
sure glad you called the guy a repairman and not a mechanic. In my state, probably along with every other state, it is illegal to repair using a compression fitting. They are not rated to take the pressure.

If you have a leak under the car in one spot, it is a good bet there are severeal other spots that are corroded and may leak in the future. It genereally happens where the attachment strap goes around the line and attaches to the frame.

I would suggest replacing the entire line.

Don't forget to bleed the brakes, which may bring about another whole different problem. Let's hope not.

Old 01-06-07, 01:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The only time I'd ever repair a broke brake line would be a temp repair just to get me home. It's not that big of a deal to replace an entire section of brake line.

Old 01-06-07, 02:15 PM
Agreed. If one spot is bad with rust the whole thing is close to gone, especially if you live in or within five states of Iowa. Replace it all.

Old 01-06-07, 07:17 PM
If your car has pre-ABS brakes I would say no problem but any newer generation car that has ABS brakes should not use compression fittings in the line.
Go with the original design.