78 Ford F250 oil pump

Old 01-06-07, 09:54 AM
Question 78 Ford F250 oil pump

This beast has 100K on it and is used strictly for snow plowing. I'm hoping to get through this season and then get rid of it as it has deteriorated beyond what I am willing to pay to get it fixed (bad ball joints/shocks/tires/exhaust etc.). I noticed it registers low/no oil pressure on the gauge but the engine seems to run relatively quietly so I'm hoping the sending unit is bad. I haven't actually had to use it yet this year so don't know if engine noise would eventually increase under load. So, I'm curious what it would take to pull the oil pan and swap out the oil pump myself if that is the culprit. Will the pan come out without lifting the engine?

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-07, 12:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Which motor does it have?

Old 01-06-07, 01:46 PM
Fords are kinda funky in that regard...........Sometimes you can wiggle them out, sometimes you gotta drop the pick-up tube from the pump, loosen the mounts and give er a nudge up an inch or 3

Old 01-06-07, 02:01 PM
If it's a 460, plan on disconnecting the mounts and lift the engine. Then block it at the mount separations. From there on it's not too bad.

You may want to plug an analog gauge into it to see what you actually have before you tear into it. Take the reading with the engine warm.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Old 01-07-07, 06:20 AM
Thanks for the responses. Sorry. I meant to include the engine size. It's a 400 cid.

I gave this more thought and I think I might have used 5w30 oil when I prepped it for this season as that is what my other vehicles take. Would that cause low pressure?

Old 01-07-07, 12:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It could cause less pressure, I'd be more worried about it being thin and either leaking past worn seals or rings and not providing sufficent lubrication for an older engine. It probably calls for 10w30, I run 20w50 in my '76 360cid.

I had planned to replace the oil pump on mine when I replaced the timing chain. Before I got around to it I noticed that I had the same low pressure whe the engine wasn't running - replacing the sending unit was all it needed.

Old 01-07-07, 02:13 PM
With the mileage this thing has on it i doubt a change of viscosity is the solution....... I'd do a mechanical check of the pressure to be sure the sending unit didn't take a dump............but experience with several of these would be taking me to a severely restricted pick up tube in the pan

Search this Thread