tacoma won't start

Old 01-06-07, 04:57 PM
tacoma won't start

A few years ago my timing chain broke on my 95 Tacoma 2wd 2.4L automatic truck. I have since replaced the timing chain and sprocket, the crank position sensor sprocket, and harmonic balancer. I recently got back to fiddling with it. I discovered that originally, I put the sensor sprocket on backwards and, after kicking myself, fixed it. I also had a buddy of mine look at everything while it was apart to see if I missed anything else. Neither of us saw anything else wrong and we took extra care to make sure that the timing was set properly. I have recently replaced all the plugs and got good spark. Fuel is getting to all cylinders. The engine will crank but not start. I am running out of ideas. Anything that could be thought of would be helpful. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-07, 06:12 PM
Compression check?????Sounds like you may have a bent valve or 4...or8

Old 01-06-07, 10:05 PM
Originally Posted by wrench47 View Post
Compression check?????Sounds like you may have a bent valve or 4...or8
yes, i agree, what happens is the camshaft stops turning when the chain breaks and the pistons are still moving and hitting your valves. I would go to a junkyard or find a parts truck as the head is probably pretty messed up and it will be expensive to fix.

Old 01-07-07, 10:32 AM
Can I do a compression check with a cold engine? All of the numbers I have to compare a reading to is meant for a warm engine. What would be the readings I would be looking for? Thanks for your help.