Demineralized Water

Old 01-08-07, 12:48 PM
Demineralized Water

Hello,
Can I be confident that when a dealer gives my vehicle a reverse flush of the cooling system, the service mechanic will add demineralize water to the antifreeze instead of tap water? Has anyone caught them using tap water?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-07, 08:54 PM
It depends on the dealership.
I would not be confident about this.
Why not just ask.

Old 01-09-07, 04:09 AM
I just checked my maintenance manual and it appears I need not be concerned about this until my vehicle has 100,000 miles before replacement is due. But it needs to be checked after every 15,000 miles to be sure that I am protected. Its been about over 18 years since I purchased a new vehicle and back in the old days, the recommendation was to change it every three years I believe. The vehicle is a Toyota 4Runner. However, I will wait and see if others have an opinion on this.

Old 01-09-07, 05:16 AM
Group Moderator
I confess in all the years I've owned cars and trucks (many of them Toyotos), I have NEVER used demineralized water in the cooling system.

Old 01-09-07, 05:37 AM
Calcium is a mild poison to cooling systems. Plus there are other hard minerals in tap water that can wreak havoc with cooling system chemistry. I too have used tap water in the past. But it's better to use demineralized or distilled water to make up coolant. I have it available to me on tap at work, so it's a no-brainer to me.

Old 01-09-07, 07:59 AM
Thanks all,
The two new vehicles that preceded my present purchase had some type of buildup on the interior radiator fins that occured after using tap water and I don't want this to happen four years down the line like it did before.

Old 01-09-07, 08:04 AM
Group Moderator
Ask. If they use tap water, bring 2 jugs of distilled water with you and ask them to use that instead. You could also just do this yourself, it's a pretty straight forward job.