Question about Coil Springs

Old 01-14-07, 12:05 PM
Question about Coil Springs

Hello all,

I'm new to the site and new to automotive do-it-yourself auto repair. I have a 98 jeep grand cherokee ltd and when I make slow turns I can hear a rough squeeking noise. I was wondering if it's coming from my front shocks/struts or coil springs? Can either of these make noise? Can someone point me in the right direction to finding the culprit?

Thanks .....

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-07, 01:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sounds more like a wheel bearing issue. Wheel bearings make a humming type noise when turning. I dont think coils or springs would make this noise.

Old 01-14-07, 02:08 PM
As much as I'd like to but when dealing with noises, it's not easy to say what and where the problem is due to too many different way to describe noise, to you it's a squeaking but it's may be humming or rattling to others and that could lead to replace unnecessary parts but anyway.

I'll take a wild guess here as of it's "squeaking type" that heard when turning is posibly coming from either upper or lower front lateral link/control arms bushings as I have seen them goes bad on the Grand Cherokee Limited, you can try to rock the Jeep side to side while listen to it to determine which side it's coming from, again, this's only a guess and it's may not be what your after. Good luck and have fun to chase the noise.

Old 01-14-07, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by HotinOKC View Post
Sounds more like a wheel bearing issue. Wheel bearings make a humming type noise when turning. I dont think coils or springs would make this noise.

Hey HotinOKC, thanks but that's not the noise I'm hearing. Although I do hear that humming noise if I just turn my wheel all the way to the left or right. When I'm moving and turning slowly - as if I'm turning into a parking space - i hear a rough, low squeeking. My jeep is all time 4x4 and when I turn the jeep sorta rocks, this is when I hear the noise.

Old 01-14-07, 04:36 PM
Could be your front hubs then if it's full time 4x4.

Old 01-14-07, 08:54 PM
Shot in the dark, noise wise..............have you checked your BRAKES recently???????

Old 01-15-07, 05:16 AM
the sound you might possibly be hearing my be a tie rod end that is low on grease and possibly starting to sieze.take a pair of vice grips and clamp them on your outer tie-rod.wiggle each sideup and down and you might possibly find your squeak.

Old 01-15-07, 07:54 AM
After listening to the noise again, it sounds more like a frogs croak...Only heard when turning slowly and the jeep rocks. I'll break it down this week and see what's going on.

Old 01-15-07, 08:40 AM
Can you produce this noise buy pushing down on that side of the vehicle? Basically rocking it up and down?