2001 Ford f-150, noisy A/C compressor PULLEY?

Old 12-28-06, 12:22 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
2001 Ford f-150, noisy A/C compressor PULLEY?

I noticed some "scraping" noise coming from my A/C compressor. The A/C continues to cool the vehicle. A friend told me that it was the clutch in the compressor making the noise. What is the average price of replacing the motor?

Last edited by Naauao2001; 12-28-06 at 12:52 PM.
Old 12-28-06, 05:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 249 Upvotes on 201 Posts
Depends on the unit, but can run anywhere from $150-300. Much cheaper than some of the imports that run $500+. If you do a Google search for "auto ac compressors" you should get a number of sites to view or call one of your local parts houses and ask. They get price -check questions all the time. Be sitting down if you call the Ford dealer to find out the price on a genuine Ford part.

Old 01-01-07, 07:28 PM
J
Naauao, I'm having that same problem with an 02 taurus. Are you hearing the noise only when the a/c or defrost is off? That's when I hear it and found it's the clutch scraping against the compressor pully. If this is the problem, you may be able to get by with just a new clutch or some new spacers between the clutch and pully, allthough the labor for the job may be expensive enough to justify having the entire compressor replaced so you won't have to worry about paying for that again. Let us know how it goes. I've just been living with the noise so far for the past few months.

Call some shops for a price if you're not doing this yourself. The labor will be a major part of the total bill.

Old 01-02-07, 10:49 AM
DKM
Ford A/C Clutch

Don't need to replce entire A/C Compressor if problem is only cluth. We've found to be comman problem on '98 to '01 compressors. A/c Clutch is easy to rebuild, don't even need to remove compressor on some engines. I do lots on our fleet of E350's, same Compressor. I believe Motorcraft Part Numbers are; YB-519, YB-542 & YB-3040. (A/C Pulley, Coil & Hub) If DIY don't loose shim or you'll need shim package (Don't remember off hand P/N) Sorry I don't have time to do step by step proceedure, also depends on which engine.

Job takes about 1/2 hour to do. (With experiance) Probably 1 Hr.flat rate. I don't know retail prices. Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents worth, for your information.

David

Old 01-19-07, 10:22 AM
N
2001 F150 Air Conditioner compressor

I took my truck to a mechanic and replaced the compressor with a brand new one. It set me back $900 with the labor included. I now have cold air.
Thank you for your help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: