84 GMC diesel fuel problems ?

Old 01-18-07, 08:43 PM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
84 GMC diesel fuel problems ?

my truck which had been driving perfectly quit on me today with little warning

I last drove it three days ago and noticed a little surging at high speeds but thought that I was just tired and inadvertently pushing the accelerator or simply just noticing things that were not there.

The last two or three times I drove it it seemed a little harder to start. But it has been cold so I just lit the glow plugs a little longer and it fired right up

To day while driving it it acted like it had run out of gas and I was able to coast into a parking lot where it started right back up

I drove it a little further and it started doing it again this time it stalled at a red light and after some trying I was able to get it to start again for a minute, but not enough to get it out of the roadway

After a few minutes it's started again and I was able to get it to a gas station before it quit.

It is acting all the world like it has no fuel.
It has two tanks one is full and one is pretty much empty
I was running it on the almost empty tank until I noticed and switched tanks
Shortly after that it started acting up, but I think that that may be a coincidence.

It is very low on oil but the engine is not seizing

That's the background her is my question
Anybody have any clue what is going on.

Old 01-18-07, 09:56 PM
you say diesel then talk about running out of gas ? it is a diesel truck right ?
anyways it could be a clogged fuel filter, or faulty injection pump, advantage of diesels is they're a lot simpler to fix since there's no fine tune up required and fuel is injected directly into each cylinder.
talk to your local diesel mechanic.

Old 01-19-07, 01:10 AM
M
Wink no gas

Probably the first thing you need to do is make sure you have enough oil in it!!!!!! I'm sure thats not your problem,but it will be if you continue to run it with no oil in it!!! Now that you have it full of oil,lets talk about your problem.Since tou say it's a 84 GMC I must assume it's a 6.2 diesel. Because it is a diesel it just about has to be a fuel starvation problem,because unlike a gas motor there is no ignition,ther than power to your injection pump. I doubt that that's your prob,but you can check it with a test light. With the key on you should have power at the wire goin' to your injection pump. Most likely it's gonna be fuel filter,or supply pump that feeds your injection pump. I don't know if you have fixed this yet so I'm not gonna sit here typing al night to walk you though this. If tou havent fixed it yet e-mail me & give me your phone # and I'll call ya. xxxxxxxx Master auto. tech.,Master truck tech. Been workin' on em' since 1972!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
***Moderator's note: Company name has been edited. Please keep all posts in the thread for other members to benefit***

Last edited by DIYaddict; 01-19-07 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Email address removed for your protection and so your email will not be filled with spam
Old 01-19-07, 07:34 AM
O
Thanks Max
No I haven't tried to fix anything yet

My first thought was filters or that it was not switching tanks for some reason, but I can hear it switching.

The oil thing is stupidity on my part I rarely drive the truck and my step father only had it for a couple of months before I got it, so I assumed that it was serviced like he does all his vehicles. That and the idiot guage read good.

Is it true that oil pressure effects fuel delivery on these trucks?

I also noticed that the air filter is filthy and even has chicken feathers in it.

I'm thinking now that my stepfather just didn't have the time to do all the service work on the truck before he died and that that may be the simple fix.
He didn't know any more about these things than I do.

To be honest I may just sell this truck.
I don't need three vehicles and I can't justify two trucks on my limited budget for the next year.
I could use the money to help restore the 79 F100 that he did babied and gave me before he died and wanted me to restore.
He said he'd be watching to make sure I did

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: