Is This a Problem with the Brake Booster?

Old 01-17-07, 11:21 AM
hth
Is This a Problem with the Brake Booster?

I have a 95 Honda van. Starting last week I hear a noise coming from the dashboard after the car started. It sounds "zzzz" for about 10 seconds then stops. During that time if I hit the brake pedal, I hear a sound as if a solenoid is buzzing. The sound stops when I release the pedal. This also happens only in the first 10 seconds after the car started. After the 10 seconds everything comes back to normal. Is this a sign of a problem with the booster? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-07, 07:16 AM
A brake booster will give a hisssin sound when ever you hit the brakes not just the first 10 sec. There is a solenoid that activates when you push the brakes that releases the gear selector lock and alows you to put the vehicle in gear. It is possible the solenoid is going bad. If the noise is there with out pushing the brake a faulty door chime is possible.

Old 01-19-07, 12:05 PM
hth
It turned out the ABS control unit. Here is the story. The ABS light has been on for 4 years. I took it to a shop and the mechanic told me that it was $400 to hook up the computer to tell whats wrong and the repair ranging from couple hundreds to $2K depend on what needed to be done. He said I could ignore it as if I didn't have ABS. As long as the brake functioned properly I should be OK. So I left it like that.

Last week I started to hear the sound. Yesterday I checked and the oil in ABS was low. I never need to fill it up and the last time I looked at it about 6 months ago the oil was not low. So I refilled the oil, brought it up above the minimum level. Now the buzzing sound when I press the brake is gone. however the sound I said I heard 'zzzzz' is still there. The sound comes from the ABS unit and the unit vibrates when it buzz. It vibrates for 10 seconds, stopes for another 10, maybe 15 seconds, then vibrates again. As long as I observed when the engine is running it kept buzzing, vibrating then stop then buzzing vibrating again. Is there a way to turn off the ABS unit so it won't bother me as long as the brake system is working without ABS? I wil try to bleed the ABS per
http://arrc.epnet.com/autoasp/index.asp?sid=1932353&uid=s9072919.main.autorefctr
to see if it clear the problem.

Thanks,

Old 01-19-07, 02:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
My first thought was ABS but you didn't mention it or the light being on. Some do a self diagnostic check at start up, but it shouldn't be repeating itself.
Shop around for a reliable mechanic and also check the estimate at a Honda dealer. Don't try to disconnect it. It is a safety device, put there to help you or anyone else behind the wheel in the future. If you got into an accident situation, and it was discovered that you had disabled it, your insurance may turn it's back on you.