92 ford explorer starter testing out of vehicle

Old 01-20-07, 11:56 AM
92 ford explorer starter testing out of vehicle

my explorer wont start it clicks, battery is fine i pulled the starter out the starter motor engages, as well as the starter but the cogs do not spin does this mean the starter is screwed? the starter motor only engages in and out correct? if anyone could help this would be great. thx all

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-07, 02:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Help us help you by clearing up a few points. You say the battery is good, but how did you test it? You say the starter motor engeges - what does that mean. You hear a click, but is the starter motor actually spinning.

Try this easy test first. Turn on the headlights and have someone watch them. Turn on the ignition and try to start the engine. If the lights go out, the battery is bad. Sometimes a meter will show a "floating" voltage that looks normal, but the battery is actually bad.

Old 01-20-07, 07:37 PM

the starter is out of the truck, i tested the battery it is good. the clicking is the relay switch it is good, now the starter is out and i jumped the starter motor and it engages , functions , etc but when i attach the motor to the starter it does not spin ? hope this is a little better help

Old 01-20-07, 08:21 PM
If I understand you correctly -- and PLEASE point out anything we're not understanding here:

1) You're SURE the battery is good (previous poster's test recommended)

2) Out of the vehicle, when you provide power to the starter, the solenoid throws the shaft forward and the shaft TURNS.

3) When installed in the truck, all you get is the click as the starter tries to turn?

IF all of that is true...

A) While the cables you're using outside the truck may be OK, it's entirely possible that the ones IN the truck aren't so hot, and remember it takes next to nothing in the way of wire to power it out of the vehicle -- there isn't any load on it -- but turning over your engine takes quite a lot of current. Check VERY carefully to be certain that there isn't a lot of corrosion just behind the connectors on both ends, up *under* the first bit of insulation. I've seen cables that seemed to me mechanically intact actually corrode where you don't see it at first. That sort of problem would be my first choice.

B) A starter that will turn properly out of the truck isn't likely to be so weak (due to a specific type of winding failure) as to not be able to turn your engine, but stranger things have happened.

C) You don't say if this truck is an auto or manual transmission, but just for 1/2 a second, let's take a REALLY dark look at another possibility. Is there a reason WHY the starter can't turn your engine? 99% of the time, the problem is indeed the starter, battery or wiring, but there's always the chance that the engine itself is locked up. If it's a manual, put it in 4th (it's easier for this purpose) while depressing the clutch, get it rolling, and pop the clutch. Does that turn the engine over at all, or do the tires lock up right away? I've seen shot head gaskets fill the cylinders with water, seizures due to overheating, and rarely, a total lubrication failure. All will lock it up, and your starter won't have a prayer of turning it over.

Old 01-20-07, 08:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It still sounds like a battery problem to me. It takes very little amperage to spin the starter with no load. When you add the load of turning the flywheel (engine), the amperage draw goes way up and a bad battery cannot supply the needed amps. Find someone with a running car and, following proper procedure, hook up jumper cables to your battery. Wait a few minutes, then see if your starter works and actually starts the car. If it does, replace your battery.

Old 01-21-07, 01:19 PM

thx for the help all, i will check the battery again with my other truck but dont believe that is it, the wiring is a little corrosive , i clean them up but may not be enough. thx for all your points i just needed to know if i was missing something . thx all