Coughing Dodge V10

Old 01-21-07, 06:44 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Coughing Dodge V10

I only put about 5000 miles on this Dodge 1996 2500 V10 (40K miles) a year so as you can see it sits a lot. It had this coughing spell before these upgrades but I did not do these upgrades to cure the problem. Headers, K&N Aircharger Air Intake Kit, and a larger throttle body.
What the problem is after over 3 days or longer setting or in cold weather (engine cold) it can not take much throttle when first started to roll down the road, it will act like and older model with a vacuum spark advance that is unhooked. I have found 2 ways to clear up this problem, 1, rev the engine in neutral to about 2K-2.5k, 2, just let the engine continue to warm up a bit. Never have looked into the problem because it is such a small problem and can be over come. Would like to head it off so as in the futrue it doesn't get worse.

Old 01-21-07, 09:21 AM
M
Received 34 Upvotes on 33 Posts
My first thought would be the water temp sensor that feeds the computer for the mixture. It would point that direction if the engine runs well after warmup.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Old 01-21-07, 09:56 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Not sure that is it but could be. As said before just after starting it has this problem and to cure it at the time the engine is still stone cold give it a quick rev up.

Old 01-21-07, 02:05 PM
M
Received 34 Upvotes on 33 Posts
RRR:

It's difficult to say for sure. The water temp sensor is the only thing I can think of that works to provide a rich mixture (for the cold running) and then gradually leans it as the engine warms up. A cold engine with a mixture too lean will run more normally at a higher rpms.

Assuming you have a mixture that is too lean, the engine would warm internally very quickly in terms of the heads and combustion chamber. The lean mixture may be enough to sustain the engine after running it briefly at the higher RPMs.

This is all assuming a fuel injected engine.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: