89 cavalier 2 liter no start

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-07, 12:01 PM
Unhappy 89 cavalier 2 liter no start

I have a 89 cavalier that died going down the road turned out the starter was fried but did push start to get me home. replaced starter,replaced wiring to starter that was burnt out.still no start.checked timing chain and replaced tensioner because old one was broken took off oil pan took out pieces of old tensioner, chain was good.car gets air,spark,fuel and has compression and will start when boosted,battery is good though and turns engine over at normal rate.must be a wiring problem but I am not sure.please help my Chevy.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-07, 12:09 PM
Change both battery cables. The one to starter and the ground cable. Had a 95 Cav act the same way. Cables were corrided inside of insulation.

Old 01-27-07, 12:28 PM
worth a try at least it would be a cheap fix if it was the cables . thanks

Old 01-27-07, 01:04 PM
any other ideas would be greatly appreciated for I want to see what options I have

Old 01-27-07, 01:09 PM
With the broken timing chain tensioner it could be that it has jumped time. You didn't say that you pulled the timing chain off or checked the timing of the crank and cam. The engine can run if the engine is turned over fast enough to bring up the compression. The ignition timing will be off also and this will cause a hard start also. I had this one car that jumped timing twice and adjusted the ignition timing to keep it running till I could rebuild the engine.

Old 01-27-07, 01:12 PM
the timing marks did align but there is no way to adjust the timing because the is no distributor

Old 01-27-07, 01:15 PM
wont start or wont crank big diff in the two you did say you could push start and it would start when boosted if I read that right and has a new starter and new cable make sure cables are tight and clean connections at the battery

Old 01-27-07, 01:18 PM
could the chain be streched so much that it would throw off the timing even with the new tensioner?

Old 01-27-07, 01:20 PM
it cranks over no problem just wont start on it's own

Old 01-27-07, 03:14 PM
would like to know the compression of each cylinder even though you say you have compression.
does it run good when it does start by boosting?

Old 01-27-07, 04:10 PM
Just to clarify, does the engine run but only with a jump ?

Or does it only crank with a jump ?

Old 01-27-07, 05:12 PM
don't know the exact compression but it does pop out a rag stuffed in there with a screwdriver for all cylinders.the engine runs fine once you get it started but you either have to boost it or push start it ,it will turn over with the key but will not start

Old 01-27-07, 06:59 PM
suggest buying a compression guage and if the cranking compression is less than 125 psi look into the timing chain again.

Old 01-27-07, 07:51 PM
This will give you and some idea if the compression is low, get a can of starting fluid and just give it a small shot while cranking without the boost but with a full charge in the battery. If throttle body injection it could be pumping too much fuel or not enough. Look down the throttle body while starting to see if it is pumping fuel, try to determine if it is too much and if you think it is not enough have a small amount (1oz) of fuel to pour in the throttle body (if air intake is vertical draw and not horizontal). If it starts without the boost you have an injector problem.

Old 01-27-07, 10:21 PM
it will not start without a boost using starter fluid,it is a vertical tbi unit and seems to be getting adequate fuel when compared to my trucks tbi

Old 01-27-07, 10:29 PM
You have an ignition problem. How well does he engine run after started. Not much power? Does it backfire?

Last edited by Get RRR Done; 01-27-07 at 10:43 PM.
Old 01-28-07, 07:41 AM
How many miles does your car have on it and when was the last time you did a tune up if it cranks at a normal rate and can get it started with starting fluid you may just need to tue it up worn spark plugs and old wires could do this try the easy stuff first with some thing like this go to the basics
fuel, spark, air change the air filter the fuel filter and plugs and wires if it has been a long time since it was done these are good places to start. Normal spark plugs are only good for about 30K

Old 10-18-07, 09:30 PM
Thumbs up re: won't start

Hey I have a 94 cavlier with a 2.2 mine wouldn't start either without replacing the Head gasket however yours will run with starting fluid so im gonna say listen to make sure that your fuel pump is kicking in listen for the wining of the pump if it doesn't come on when the key is turned on then try to gently tap on the gastank under the car listen to see if it comes on sometimes faulty pumps can go bad if it does come on check to make sure that you have fuel pressure by removing the cap that looks like a valve stem cap you will see the needle valve gently press the needle it should shoot fuel if its getting any pressure if not replace the pump or check the fuel pump relay switch or fuel pump fuse either under the dash in the fuse panel or under the hood hope this helps some and gives you some leads

Closed Thread

Search this Thread