'95 Firebird Transmission Problems

Old 01-28-07, 03:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
'95 Firebird Transmission Problems

I have a 1995 pontiac firebird with an automatic transmission, which won't engage in reverse. Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-07, 03:33 PM
Help us out here. Have you checked the fluid level, is the fluid burnt, has the fluid and filter been changed, when and how many miles on the service work if any? Is forward gears and shift ok? How many miles total on the transmission. Has the transmission been abused, while still moving forward dropped in reverse. Give us any and all that could help us.

Old 01-30-07, 05:21 PM
I just purchased the vehicle a couple of days ago. I got it from an impound, so i have no idea about the vehicle's history. During the four hour drive home, i didn't notice any problems with the forward gear. It has 120,000 miles on it. i haven't gotten the chance to check the fluid. I was just wondering if there are any common problems of this nature in this car, or if anyone could suggest what the problem might be, because after the purchase, and other problems that need fixing, i'm a little strapped for cash, and would like to avoid taking it to a mechanic if at all possible.

Old 01-30-07, 07:08 PM
First thing to do is to check the fluid level and while doing that take a good look at the fluid color. Should be a shade of red and not deep red that my look like it has some brown in it. If you have a can of transmission fluid compare the color and smell. Then if all is good there get under the car and check the linkage from the shifter to see if it looks normal without some kind of abuse/damage. What we are doing here is checking it all over for something that is very easy to see or fix. If there is a vacuum line check it for a leak. I am not at all good on automatic transmissions but could spot a problem if it bit me.

So look it over then report back and someone could be of more help.

Old 01-30-07, 07:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If the engine races (the RPMS) increase but the car does not move....you probably do have an internal transmission problem.......OR there could be something wrong in the rear end.

Hopefully it's just the fluid....but I suspect more.

The car was probably abused if it was in a inpound.