87 Dodge Shadow wont start....Ignition switch?

Old 01-30-07, 11:38 AM
87 Dodge Shadow wont start....Ignition switch?

When I went to start my car this morning nothing happened. When turning the key it feels different, like there is less resistance which makes me think it is the ignition switch. Battery is good. The dash lights, buzzer and radio all turned on.

Am I thinking right?

How do you check to see if that is what is wrong?

How do you change a ignition switch?

I would really appreciate any help with this.

Zac

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-07, 12:56 PM
Just happened to my GMC about a week ago. Same scenario. Mine turned out being the battery cables were corroded between the cable and battery (hard to see until removed).

Before doing anything, I would check that out under the hood. Disconnect both cables, clean them off thoroughly and reinstall firmly. You may also want to dab a bit of grease on the towers to keep the moisture off.

Good luck.

Mike

Old 01-30-07, 01:01 PM
I will try that and let you know.
Thanks much.

Old 01-30-07, 02:13 PM
that did not work.
when i turn the key forward there is no draw on the battery.
also there is no spring back, when turned forward it stays there.
i do not feel it turning anything inside.
does not look too hard to take out except for the weird headed screws that hold it on that i do not have the tool to take out.

Old 01-30-07, 02:27 PM
what would you call that kind of screw? i think it is a torx but it has a pointy thing in the middle and the torx i have will not go in it.

Old 01-30-07, 03:42 PM
Unhappy

When I turn the key I can see the actuating rod move at each click but it seems at the last click the key is in the position it should be to start but is not and will not turn farther.

I dont know if it is the ignition switch or the lock-ignition(cylinder & keys) that is bad.

I read to change the cylinder you have to take off the steering wheel. Thats major. If it is the ignition switch it is located down on the column under the dash.

I think I may be forced to take it to a shop and pay major bucks and I just dont know if it is worth it if I have to do that. Bummed out by this whole deal. One more thing. It is a '93 and not a '87.

Last edited by ZFREAK; 01-30-07 at 03:46 PM. Reason: more info.
Old 01-31-07, 03:04 AM
if its a 93 you shouldnt have to remove the steering wheel to service the ignition switch or lock cylinder as you can remove the upper and lower covers from the steering column, but given your decription it may be a older model after all.
if its has the lighted ring around the key cylinder would bet the ignition lock cylinder is broken, if its an older column there is a good chance its just the ignition switch.
check out auto zones website for more info while the same page gives info on multiple steering columns you really need to know which one you have.
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/08/ea/fc/0900823d8008eafc.jsp

Old 01-31-07, 06:22 AM
If it has an airbag.. be certain that you unplug that first and foremost before doing anything. My 92 spirit had an airbag which is why I mention it.

Torx drive (star shaped) bolts do require a special socket but you can usually pick up a pretty full set of these at any autoparts store in their tools section and you'll pay maybe 9-18 dollars for a set. They are handy to have.

Mike

Old 01-31-07, 07:09 AM
It does have the lighted ring around the key. Looks like it should come off without taking the steering wheel off. Guess I will try the lock/cylinder thing they are only about $20 before I give up and take it to a shop. Thanks Limabee and bejay for your help. Appreciate it much.

Zac

Old 01-31-07, 05:49 PM
That pointy thing in the middle makes it a tamper-proof torx bolt. There are bits sold for that kind of bolt. I've seen them on eBay and elsewhere. The manufacturer doesn't want the average joe to work on certain equipment.

Old 01-31-07, 07:09 PM
Easier said than done, but drill a deep enough hole in the torx bit to take care of the pointy thing issue or cut a deep enough notch in the torx bit with a dremel tool.

Old 01-31-07, 10:58 PM
Thumbs up

I went and got the torx star tool. I went and got the cylinder and lock. By the way it was $18 at autozone and $69 at checker. Dont know what is up with that. Got the thing off and did get the car started. It is too dark to finish tonight, should have got some batteries for my big light too. I'm thrilled that I am almost there. Thank you all for the help and advise. I will check back in tomorrow after I finish and let you all know how it went.

Zac