1998 buick blower motor stopped

Old 01-31-07, 04:52 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
1998 buick blower motor stopped

The blower motor on the wifes 1998 buick lesabre stopped blowing. it worked on the way to work, the car was shut off for about three and one half hours and when she started it and switched from the heater to the air conditioner the blower motor would not blow cool ait into the car. the blower motor does not come on at all in any speed position or heat or air condition mode. I checke all of the fuses under the dash and they are all fine. the a/c compressor kicks in when a/c is selected and when the different settings for heat, defrost, vent etc are switched I can hear movement inside the dash for whatever it is that directs the way the air is blowing moving. everything works fine except the blower motor will not blow. I checked under the hood and visually inspected the wires coming from out of the blower motor for cracks / damage etc. and everything looks like new. I could only inspect the wires to where they dissapeared into the firewall. We have had the car about 6 months now and everything has been great on it. we had a mechanic check it out before we bought it and he gave us the thunbs up on it. The car only has 12,500 mile on it even though it is a 1998 model and it is now 2007.
I'm wondering if this blower motor problem is something I shoulf attempt to troubleshoot further by myself or if I should just take in into the mechanic and let them him fix it. The blower motor made no noise or squeaking or anything ever. it just stopped after working fine a few hours earlier. any insight at all would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for any advice / info anyone may be able to provide.

Old 01-31-07, 04:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It could be the resistor that controls power to the motor. I suggest you get a multimeter and disconnect plug at the motor. Test for power at the plug with heater switch on HIGH. If you have voltage, it's the motor. If you have no voltage, you have a bad resistor or switch.

This blower motor is probably difficult to get at since it's under the dash. Sometimes you can get to it by removing glovebox, and sometimes and most of the time, you have to remove the whole dashboard which can take a full day or two for the novice.

Old 01-31-07, 06:35 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I think that there is a second fuse block which is in the engine compartment. It may be on a fender well or on the firewall on the passenger side.

Old 01-31-07, 06:48 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You might also find a blower relay under the hood, probably in the fuse box. If so, swap that relay with another one that looks the same and see if it makes a difference.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: