camaro won't start when real cold

Old 01-31-07, 06:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
camaro won't start when real cold

My oldest son has a camaro with a 305 w/throttle body. The battery is less than 1 yr old. Hot or cold it never turns over real fast but always starts promptly except when the temp goes below 20 degrees. Below 20` it seldom starts. Have gave it a shot of gas in TB with no difference, have yet to try ether or push starting. As soon as the air temp gets above freezing it cranks right up! First time I thought maybe frozen gas line, but this latest time he had just filled up and added injector cleaner. Fortunetly we don't have many prolonged cold spells.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-07, 07:30 AM
I would have the starter checked out. The slow turning over in most cases with a new battery would be the starter dragging. Then again batteries can go bad with in a year too.

Old 01-31-07, 07:32 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Along with what RRR said:

The new battery maybe to small for the vehicle. You need a lot of cold cranking AMPS in a battery. Like RRR said, it could be a weak starter.

You want at least 550 cold cracking amp battery.

Old 01-31-07, 07:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
According to advance auto the battery is correct for the car. Hadn't thought about starter drag but that isn't the main problem. When it gets below 20 degrees it just won't start! The starter turns the motor over approx the same as in warm weather. It just won't even attempt to fire. Once temps get above freezing it fires right up It is almost like it has ignition above freezing and not when below.

Old 01-31-07, 07:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You might have too heavy weight of oil in it as well.

Old 01-31-07, 07:43 AM
Originally Posted by HotinOKC View Post
Along with what RRR said:

The new battery maybe to small for the vehicle. You need a lot of cold cranking AMPS in a battery. Like RRR said, it could be a weak starter.

You want at least 550 cold cracking amp battery.

Good point about CCA. I assume too much at times, in this case like others the new battery has to be sized to the engine. You could bet that some will try to pinch a penny and buy a lower CCA battery. Better to over do it than go the other way.

Old 01-31-07, 07:50 AM
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
According to advance auto the battery is correct for the car. Hadn't thought about starter drag but that isn't the main problem. When it gets below 20 degrees it just won't start! The starter turns the motor over approx the same as in warm weather. It just won't even attempt to fire. Once temps get above freezing it fires right up It is almost like it has ignition above freezing and not when below.

Will it start with a boost from another battery?

Old 01-31-07, 07:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by Get RRR Done View Post
Will it start with a boost from another battery?
NO!!

It starts just as quickly at 25` as it does at 75` but when the temp gets below 20` it refuses to fire or start. I originally suspected moisture in the fuel but no longer believe that is the case.

Also he has run the battery down trying in vain to get it to start and have it start later without a boost or charging when the temp gets above freezing.

Old 01-31-07, 08:04 AM
spark and gas

if it turns over at 15 degrees the same as 85 degrees, as you almost say, forget the battery and starter and check for gas and spark.

Pull a wire off a spark plug and hold it about 1/4" above the plug and listen for a snapping sound while someone else tries to start it.

Turn the key to run, but not start, and listen for the fuel pump to run.

Back to the battery... try a jump start. Occacionally, a battery will have enough juice to run the starter but not correctly run the computer.

Old 01-31-07, 08:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by peabees View Post
if Occacionally, a battery will have enough juice to run the starter but not correctly run the computer.

But wouldn't jump starting off a running vehicle provide ample juice?

Will have to wait for next below 20` temps to check for spark.

Old 01-31-07, 08:14 AM
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
NO!!

It starts just as quickly at 25` as it does at 75` but when the temp gets below 20` it refuses to fire or start. I originally suspected moisture in the fuel but no longer believe that is the case.

Also he has run the battery down trying in vain to get it to start and have it start later without a boost or charging when the temp gets above freezing.

If it will not start when the temps are below 20 with a boost and starting fluid it would have to be something with the ignition I would think. Compression could be down where it would fire when above 20 and not below. The thing is you poured fuel in the TB while trying to start so a frozen fuel line is not it.
Still checkout the starter. I had a auto the would not start because the starter was dragging so much that it starved the ignition. Once or twice it did start the second I let off the starter. That is very unusual but the engine has to have compression and ignition in good shape to start in cold weather.

Old 01-31-07, 03:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The car runs great other than the cold weather starting problem. I could run a compression check on it but it runs and sounds awfully good. I say it turns over slow - but not real slow, just not as fast as my vehicles. It appears to have the same cranking power - hot or cold. I haven't tried starting fluid only because I can't seem to remember to replace the can I used up

If/when the problem reoccurs I'll try to check out the ignition more. He is talking to a guy about trading it for a jeep so it may become a non issue but I'm still curious as to what's wrong with it. Could the computer get too cold to work?

Old 02-01-07, 03:08 AM
would probably suspect the ignition coil not sure what year model the car is but would definatly check the coil and coil wire as a weak coil can cause a no start in cold weather.