won't crank with the key! HELP !!!!!!!

Old 02-03-07, 08:09 AM
won't crank with the key! HELP !!!!!!!

I have a 1986 ford e150 work van that will not crank with the key, If you turn the key on and jump the starter solenoid it still won't start.But it will turn over, I was told it was the ignition switch so I replaced it and it still won't start. When I tried cleaning the battery connections, I changed the ignition switch, checked the neutral safety switch, and it still won't turn over, the starter solenoid doesn't even click. The lights, radio, clock and all the buzzers work and the battery has 12 volts with the headlights on. If you can give me any help with this problem, it would be much appreciated

Last edited by eaglesdad1; 02-03-07 at 10:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-07, 10:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Replace the starter

Old 02-03-07, 10:59 AM
Will it start with a jump? Battery may not have enough amps to engage starter but enough to light a few lights.

Old 02-03-07, 11:52 AM
starter turns fine, cranks over fine if I jump the starter solenoid with a screwdriver. But it's not getting fire

Battery checked out fine

Any other ideas????????? Thanks

Old 02-03-07, 01:15 PM
so it will not crank over with the key but will crank over if you jump the solenoid?
when you turn the key to the crank position does it feel normal does it spring back to the run position.

Old 02-03-07, 04:12 PM
It feels normal.

I went out and replaced the starter solenoid and it would turn over by the key,But still no spark! I just changed the control module and now have spark,But it still won't start. Now I don't hear the electric fuel pump when I turn the key on, So I went back and checked everything to see if I missed a wire on something when I reinstalled everything. But everything looks fine.
This thing is starting to drive me nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-04-07, 11:49 AM
Ok day two, I went out and checked everything that was replaced and it all checks out. I then ran a hot jumper wire to the elec. fuel pump and it came on, so I tryed to start the van and it still won't start.
Before all this happend, when you would turn the key on you could hear the fuel pump for a few sec. and then it would click off. now with the jumper wire on it the pump runs all the time. I have no idea of what to try next! any thoughts on this would be a great help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Old 02-04-07, 11:58 AM
Group Moderator
This is a generalization, but you appear to have a multi-faceted electrical problem. I know, duh! But what I mean is that you need to double and triple check anything that could affect more than one system. It sounds suspiciously like you've got a bad connector somewhere or a wire bundle has been damaged something like that, but I'm at a loss on where to point you. All fuses/fusible links checked? When you turn the key to "on" does the fuel pump relay click?

Old 02-04-07, 12:19 PM
All fuses/fusible links checked? When you turn the key to "on" does the fuel pump relay click?

I checked everything and then rechecked again, the fuel pump stoped working after I changed the starter solenoid, so I put the old one back on to see if the fuel pump would work but it did not help. so I reinstalled the new one again.
where would the fuel pump relay be? This thing came with two elec. fuel pumps, one in the tank and the other on the frame rail. they both will come on if I run a hot jumper wire to the one on the rail.
Before all this happend when you would turn the key to the on you could hear the pump on the frame kick on for a few sec. and then click off. now you don't hear anything.

Old 02-04-07, 01:01 PM
did u change the switch, or just the key part? when u turn the key on does the dash stuff come on? if u jumped it at the sol with the key on it should start, fif not your not getting juice to the ignition switch, u can also check i think comming off the hot side of the sol there shold be some small wires , on the wire should be fuseabe links, check if u have juice on both side of the link, they dont look like fuses if ny old mind remebers there flat lookin, let us no what u find , good luck, tom

Old 02-04-07, 01:04 PM
sorry didnt see all the post before me

Old 02-04-07, 01:12 PM
make sure u check all ground wires , from batt to engine to fram , bad grounds make elect go goofy

Old 02-04-07, 06:42 PM
Just for fun reset the inertia switch.

Old 02-05-07, 10:32 AM
I thought about the inertia switch also, But I can't find the thing anywhere on the van. anyone know where it is on this 1986 ford van?????

thanks Ken

Old 02-05-07, 02:16 PM
Group Moderator
Probably passenger side kick panel, but the inertia switch just kills the fuel pump, it won't affect cranking.

Old 02-05-07, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
Probably passenger side kick panel, but the inertia switch just kills the fuel pump, it won't affect cranking.
we got it to crank now, see post above. But the fuel pump will come on when you turn the key on.
I went out today and pulled both kick panels off and no inertia switch there, Have also looked under the dash and not there. this is a work van so there's no carpet or anything in the back so I could see it if it was in the back some where, have looked under the van and don't see anything there.
I know it has to be there some where but have no idea where. any more ideas?????????

thanks Ken

Old 02-05-07, 06:02 PM
Group Moderator
Racking my brain. We've had this before here on the forums for a Ford van, but can't remember where the darn thing is. Anybody???

Fuel pump relay may be on the fuse panel or possibly under a cover in the engine compartment with other fuses/relays.

Old 02-05-07, 11:01 PM
i dont think it has the switch its to old. is it fuel injected? check to see if your are getting fuel up next to carb or fuel rail should have valve core to push if it fuel injected

Old 02-06-07, 03:20 AM
Originally Posted by 1rooster View Post
i dont think it has the switch its to old. is it fuel injected? check to see if your are getting fuel up next to carb or fuel rail should have valve core to push if it fuel injected
I am thinking the same thing, It is fuel injected but when you turn the key on you don't hear the fuel pump anymore. I checked and there is no power to the pump now, so I guess next step is to look for a fuel relay somewhere? the only fuse box I have found is under the dash and everything tested ok there

Old 02-06-07, 04:03 AM
it should have an inertia switch just cant remember where its at, have you checked at the sides at the back of the van, also check all along under the dash near where the carpet stops.
are you sure that you installed the solenoid correctly all those small wires fusible links should be on the battery side of the solenoid. also might check the small ground wire coming off the negative cable as it is a computer ground.

Old 02-06-07, 11:58 AM
Originally Posted by bejay View Post
it should have an inertia switch just cant remember where its at, have you checked at the sides at the back of the van, also check all along under the dash near where the carpet stops.
are you sure that you installed the solenoid correctly all those small wires fusible links should be on the battery side of the solenoid. also might check the small ground wire coming off the negative cable as it is a computer ground.
I have done everything but turn this van upside down looking for the inertia switch and I really don't think it has one, we pulled both kick panels off looked under the dash on both sides looked under the hood, checked in side the back of the van(it's a panel van with nothing on the floor or walls) so there is no where they could have put it there. looked under the van front to back and both sides of the frame, even looked up around the gas tank. I don't think I have missed anything.(it has been checked be others also)

all wires have been checked and checked again, even pulled the new parts off one at a time and tryed and still nothing

as far as a small ground wire from the negative wire for the computer ground, there was never one there! so it must be grounded somewhere else. I will check when I go back out again for that

If anyone has or knowes of someone that has a van like this PLEASE let me know,I have never racked my brain this hard on a old ford like this!!!!
Thanks Ken

Old 02-06-07, 12:13 PM
Group Moderator
Don't know the years the inertia switch was installed, but here's part of thread a while back on an '88:

"I found the little bugger. Pasenger side just below the dash attached to the door support. Even the ford dealership had me looking in the wrong place."

In another post:

"Ford moves them around, but there usually in 1 of the following places:

1. Behind the driver's side kick panel

2. Behind the passenger's side kick panel

3. On the inside of the firewall, above & to the left of the accelerator pedal."

And a passing thought (although I doubt it), maybe mounted under a seat (driver/pax)?

Or possibly we're all p'ing in the wind and it really doesn't have one.

Old 02-06-07, 03:43 PM
Or possibly we're all p'ing in the wind and it really doesn't have one.

I like this one, Because I think that is just what I'm doing!!!!
I will check all the other places on your list and see. If I can't get this thing running soon I will have to send it to the shop (or junk yard) as we need it for our delivery service

Thanks Ken