brakes don't work in cold weather!

Old 02-08-07, 07:30 AM
brakes don't work in cold weather!

I have a 2002 Altima .. It has been very cold here in MD the last few weeks and I have noticed that when i start the car in the morning, it takes a few pumping of brake before it starts feeling normal .. when I first back up the car from the drive way, the brake is hard and does not go down all the way when i press on it and the car hardly stops .. i recall the same thing last year, but only durning extrem cold . .what could be the problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-07, 02:49 PM
It could be in the ABS or you could have moisture in the system. I would get a helper and purge the line of all the fluid. If you have a brake bleeding tool you can do it yourself.

Have your friend pump up the brakes and hold them. Start at the most remote brake (rear passenger side). Crack the bleeder, let some fluid escape and close it before pumping the brakes again. Repeat. Do each brake a couple of times.

The idea is to replace all the fluid in the system a opposed to bleed for air in the system.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Old 02-08-07, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by switchex View Post
I have a 2002 Altima .. It has been very cold here in MD the last few weeks and I have noticed that when i start the car in the morning, it takes a few pumping of brake before it starts feeling normal .. when I first back up the car from the drive way, the brake is hard and does not go down all the way when i press on it and the car hardly stops .. i recall the same thing last year, but only durning extrem cold . .what could be the problem?

I'm only talking about Nissan and these particular model Altimas, Maxs, and Sentras 2002-2006.

I have seen some of them like that especially on extremely cold weather, I wouldn't try to fix something which cause by extreme weather, just warm it up alittle more than you would normally do, give a brake pedal a couple pushes before shift into gear, I don't think it's hydraulic problem but I do think it's more likely all rubber seals and orings in calipers/wheel cylinders and master cylinder are getting harder and kinda "glue" itself to the housing.

Old 02-08-07, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by switchex View Post

I'll go out on a limb here, but it sounds to me like the brake booster is failing or it is loosing vacuum. Weak brakes and a very stiff brake pedal are symptoms of the brake booster failing. I would have the system checked for a vacuum leak first, then have the booster unit checked.

Old 02-09-07, 04:59 AM
would probably be looking at the brake booster also, and checking the vacum line going to it even for moisture if it only occurs in really cold temps, might also check with the dealer to see if its a known problem for your model, where the manufacture may have submitted a tsb for.

Old 02-09-07, 03:48 PM
Bejay, I work for Nissan Dealer as a Master Tech and I have my radar on on this issue, there's no tsb just yet, if there's enough of report to Nissan, they may look into it.

On a very cold day like 10*F with -15*F windchill or colder, 1/5 of Nissan (Alt,Max,Sen) combine on our lot (about 4-500 cars) experience the same symptom, brake pedal hard, but after a pump or two, it's back to normal, we have looked at couple of them after salesman reported but we(I) haven't find anything which may cause it because it's working fine right after that, the other problem is we don't know which one having problem unless we're pushing the pedal, but then it's back to normal after second pump and we have to leave it there to another day and try again if it is acts up and can be duplicated after couple minutes.

To be honest with you, I don't wanna be out in the parking lot at this kind of temperature and try to figure it out, too damn cold to walk let alone work.

Old 02-10-07, 10:08 PM
Brake Pedal Freezes Again While Driving in Cold...

I have a 1998 Altima and for the past three years have had this same trouble where the brake pedal is "frozen" when the temperature in the AM is under 10 above. And after the car warms up or after pumping the pedal a few times, it seems to be fine. But this week, I've experienced something additional. After driving for awhile on the interstate in the temperatures a few degrees below zero, there have been a few times when the brake pedal is frozen again or moves only slightly until it's pumped a few times. Kind of scary while trying to stop suddenly. Any suggestions as to why that would happen? Can the brake fluid freeze in the lines or something like that? I'm not sure if I've ever had my brake fluid changed. The car has 187,000 miles on it and otherwise is still in very good shape.

Old 02-11-07, 09:32 AM
New Guy

I would bet it is the brake booster, vacuum lines or seals. I wounder if there is any way to check the vacuum in the booster while the car has this problem. Could one hook up a vacuum gauge or just a line into the booster, let the car set over night, then on that very cold morning hook up a vacuum gauge, start the car and see if the vacuum come up to where it should be without working the pedal. To me it seems the seals around the shaft in and out of the booster are leaking until the shaft is worked.

Old 02-11-07, 01:11 PM
Get RRR done.

We tried that, vacuum reads normally when first cold start up, 19in at dead cold fast idle(2500) and gradually increases up to 21.5in right after 5-6 seconds after started, it could be lots of thing but then again, it's toooooo cold to play outside, I didn't spend much time chasing down something that only happen once in less than 3 seconds and may be once or twice in a year and or when the temp is extremely cold, we are talking about in the single digit or in the low teens here. Just warm it up and give it couple pumps, if it's happen more and more and can be reproduce in a short time of 2-3 parked, then I may tackle it.

Stormcloud.

This incident may/may not as same as yours due to different model year and mileage, on your case, I'd try to flush them out first and see if there's any improve, no promise though.

Old 02-16-07, 12:55 PM
Resolution to the Altima Brake problem

Hi all,

I have had the same brake problem and think I have the resolution as soon as the part comes in from Nissan Japan. Looks to be the rubber vacuum hose going to the brake booster. On my 2002 Altima the check valve is build into the rubber hose and looks like the check value is faulty at cold temps......when I warm up the engine it releases.

More info posted on this Nissan forum.

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/2002-2006-nissan-altima-discussion-2-5-3-5/238424-help-please-no-power-assist-brakes-5-minutes-cold-winter-days-scary-new-post.html