minor accident now rear wheel squeek

Old 02-08-07, 06:39 AM
minor accident now rear wheel squeek

Hey guys. First time posting on car forum. Got in a minor fender scratcher accident last night. Minor bump, like 2 mph difference between vehicles. His front drivers side corner rubbed the side of my rear bumber on the passengers side. Looked like just some of his plastic bumper color would have to be rubbed out, but today I noticed a a squeek, squeek, squeek when I was rolling really slow. I also noticed that going slowly around courner turning to the right, when the rear passengers wheel was on the inside of the turn, no squeek, but a squeek when I turned left and the rear passengers wheel was on the outside of the turn. I got out and checked and noticed some scuff marks on my rear passenger wheel and plastic wheel cover. I can't definitievely say it was that wheel where the squeek was from, but it is new today and given the way it acts when I turn I assume it's that wheel.

Any ideas what this is. I am hoping just loose lugs, I will tighten them before my 25 mile commute home, or I need a wheel alignment. My, actually my wife's, vehicle was a 2005 Toyota Corrolla. What's the worse case. I have hit unavoidable pot holes with much more force than what that wheel took from the accident so I can't see that this would be that bad, but the impact was from the side. Tire looks fine, plenty of air this AM.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-07, 02:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
He might have damaged part of that plastic cover and that is rubbing on the wheel, or, the accident caused the wheel (rim) to bend and rub on the tire.

I doubt a loose lug nut. Remove the tire and inspect the bead area of the tire/wheel. It should be perfectly round all around. If the tire/wheel seem ok, then take a look at the rear brakes carefully to make sure nothing is cracked, etc.

I just hit a pothole last week, bent my rim, and after that, I would hear something, like there was something stuck on my tire, but would not make that noise turning the wheel a certain way. That sound was air leaking out my tire.
Welcome to the forums.

Old 02-08-07, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the help/advice. I check those out.

Old 02-09-07, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by viking View Post
Hey guys. First time posting on car forum. Got in a minor fender scratcher accident last night. Minor bump, like 2 mph difference between vehicles. His front drivers side corner rubbed the side of my rear bumber on the passengers side. Looked like just some of his plastic bumper color would have to be rubbed out, but today I noticed a a squeek, squeek, squeek when I was rolling really slow. I also noticed that going slowly around courner turning to the right, when the rear passengers wheel was on the inside of the turn, no squeek, but a squeek when I turned left and the rear passengers wheel was on the outside of the turn. I got out and checked and noticed some scuff marks on my rear passenger wheel and plastic wheel cover. I can't definitievely say it was that wheel where the squeek was from, but it is new today and given the way it acts when I turn I assume it's that wheel.

Any ideas what this is. I am hoping just loose lugs, I will tighten them before my 25 mile commute home, or I need a wheel alignment. My, actually my wife's, vehicle was a 2005 Toyota Corrolla. What's the worse case. I have hit unavoidable pot holes with much more force than what that wheel took from the accident so I can't see that this would be that bad, but the impact was from the side. Tire looks fine, plenty of air this AM.
remove the hub cap and see if it squeeks. i bet it stops.

Old 02-09-07, 07:59 PM
You may have a bent rim.
Jack up each wheel one at a time and lay a long screwdriver on a brick and place the tip of the screwdriver right next to the rim and spin the wheel. ( you only need to jack the wheel and inch of the ground)
This will tell you if your wheel is true.
If it's bent you will clearly notice the in and out motion of the rim next to the screwdriver tip.