Couple of problems w/ 2002 Ford Explorer

Old 02-14-07, 08:49 AM
Question Couple of problems w/ 2002 Ford Explorer

I have two problems with my 2002 Explorer XLT, hoping someone can help.

1) Passenger side power mirror dosen't work. When I toggle the switch to right side, joystick doesn't move the mirror. Driver's side works fine. Is it more likely the mirror motor or the terminal on the selector switch? How would I get access to the motor? Do I need to pop off the door panel to get to the switch/joystick?

2) Passanger side rear window doesn't opperate properly. On a recent trip my son managed to open the window part way, but could no longer close it. Neither the local window control or the driver master control would work to get the window up. Let me tell you it was getting a little cold in there. Luckily we were close to home by then. Once home, I popped off the panels to both the affected door and the driver door. I disconnected and re-seated connectors to the motor and the two control units. After some trial and error I got the window to close. I am wondering again if it might be the switches or the motor.

Seeing as both these problems have occured on the passenger side, should I be concerned that it might be a bigger problem?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-07, 07:53 AM
Anyone???

Old 02-27-07, 02:57 PM
Group Moderator
Not my strongest subjects, but I'll give it a go.

When you move the mirror control does the mirror make any noise to indicate the motor is trying to work?

The motor will be inside the mirror; I don't think it will be a serviceable item and you may need to replace the mirror. To get to the wiring you may need to remove interior trim pieces or the door panel as you suggest. Once you get to the connector you can meter it to see if you are getting power when you activate the switch.

Ditto the window motor on the pax side. It's possible there is a common wire bundle for the two systems that has a problem, but about as likley you simply have a bad mirror motor and a bad window motor.

Mirror head runs about $55-70 on-line. Here's one source:http://www.ezbodyparts.com/buy/index.php?cat=Mirror&make=FORD&model=EXPLORER&year=2002

Old 02-28-07, 06:20 AM
Thanks Tow_Guy,

I don't hear any noise coming from the mirror, but I will test this more accurately. I accutally got hold of wiring diagram for both the mirror and the window, so I can at least figure out which wires to test.

Unfortunately, this will have to wait untill it gets a little warmer outside.

Thanks again.

Loris.

Old 02-28-07, 06:22 AM
Group Moderator
Good point on the weather; any chance it's iced up?

Old 02-28-07, 06:35 AM
Actually, the mirror problem has been ongoing since the late fall. But good thought though!

Cheers,

Loris.

Old 02-28-07, 10:35 AM
I would have to agree that its just a coincidence and probably not a wiring problem in general with the car, wondow motors are a common thing to go. A window motor is pretty easy to install, you do have to taek off the door panel buts its pretty straight forward. By the way can I ask you where you got the wiring diagram from? I am trying to find a better one for a problem I am having with my car?

Old 02-28-07, 10:52 AM
VLaquidara,

Thanks for the input.

As for the diagrams, my mechanic was kind enough to print them off for me.

Cheers,

Loris.

Old 02-28-07, 11:43 AM
I see. Thanks anyhow. Keep us posted as to yur progress with the car. Good luck.