transmission question

Old 02-16-07, 10:53 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
transmission question

Yesterday I took my 02 Dodge Caravan to the local dealer for a tune up, oil cgange, transmission tune and 23 point checkup. the checkup discovered no problems. i was also not told of any problems when i picked up the van. On my way home the van was jumping gears when ever I slowed down. I took it back to the dealer today to find out what the problem was... long story short i was told today that there is a problem with the torque converter. the check engine light has not came on and i didn't have this problem untill yesterday. My husband normally handles the car things- he is currently in the desert and i want to know what my next cousre of action should be. the dealership said they can fix it. help

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-07, 11:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sounds like the dealer might have damaged something during your tune up. A torque converter and the labor to put it in can be quite costly. Go get a second or third opinion.

Old 02-16-07, 01:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 29 Votes on 23 Posts
I'm curious what their "transmission tune-up" consists of; on a 2002 a simple filter and fluid change should have been sufficient and really all that can be done to it.

Old 02-16-07, 08:10 PM
Hey Tow........I'm thinkin they used a flush machine and didn't use the right fluid or the correct "friction modifier"...........But that's only an educated guess

Old 02-17-07, 08:10 AM
02 Dodge models use a special fluid. I believe it's ATF+4. I know there are still shops that use Dexron III for nearly everything they touch. Check to see if your receipt has this detail. If not - ask the dealer what fluid they used.

Maybe the trans fluid level is low?