Squealing power steering

Old 02-17-07, 01:56 PM
Question Squealing power steering

I have a 2001 Mitsubishi Galant with the 6 cylinder engine. Every time it gets cold (below freezing) I get a squealing from the power steering pump. It does this until it warms up after maybe 2 miles of driving or so. If I just leave it running in the driveway for 10 minutes or so it only squeals when turned to the extreme.
I see some oil on the outside of the canister for the power steering fluid but the level still reads full. Does the fluid need changed and if so how do I do that?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-07, 02:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Try this first. With the engine running and in neutral, turn the steering wheel full left as far as it will go and hold it there for a few seconds. Then turn it full right and hold it for a few seconds. Repeat the cycle one more time. This helps get any air lock out of the lines.
Also, check the belt tension. If it's a little loose, it may be slipping on the pulley until the pump gets up to speed.

Old 02-17-07, 03:21 PM
Are you sure it is the pump?? As suggested above, it could be the belt, belt tensioner, etc.

Old 02-17-07, 04:26 PM
Just had the belt replaced 2 month ago. The tensioner is fine. It quits after it warms up.
I have tried the air bleed thing before but will try again tomorrow after wife get home with car tonight.

Old 02-18-07, 07:03 AM
Unhappy

Maybe squealing is not the proper sound. It is more like the sounf it makes when the wheel is turned all the way to one side and held. Like it is in a strain only no one is turning the wheel. I think maybe the fluid is getting thick with the cold.

Old 02-18-07, 07:16 AM
Routine maintenance

I do a power steering fluid change as normal routine maintenance. I would reccomend you do the same. It can not hurt and your problem might go away.
You can use a turkey baster and remove old stuff and replace it but you will need to do this a couple of times as the old stuff you cant suck out will mix with the new fluid.